Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,833   Online: 1162

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    that is the kind you can resolve with a lens hood.
    I agree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    The flare that I had in mind can be seen with the shutter open and back open and aim the camera so the sun is focused on the interior wall or bellows of the camera. Gears/levers in the camera can reflect... Black paint is rarely perfect... Even the tube of a telephoto lens can reflect. This can cause an evenly distributed, or at least widely spread, flare - and that is the kind you can resolve with a lens hood.
    A rectangular adjustable hood, yes. I wish there was some kind of masking hood you could buy for view cameras. Ideally it would be a hood that not only did the standard job of reducing lens flare, but also had a set of adjustable rectangular blades in it. The idea would be that once you are done applying the camera movements, you then adjust these blades to exclude everything beyond the perimeter of the ground glass, thereby effectively eliminating camera/veiling flare, which can be substantial with lenses that have a lot of coverage. I've cobbled together something sort of functional along these lines for use on the tilt/shift lenses I use on my 35mm camera, but 4x5 is another story. My understanding is John Wimberley has constructed such a device for his view cameras.

By the way Stephen and Bill, sorry I keep meaning to post more to this thread but I'm slower than usual lately due to too many simultaneous experiments (flare/film testing, pyro etc). One thing I'm hoping to post to this thread soon is a comparative speed/development test for a given film under no-flare and flare conditions. I think this could be a useful discussion point (Stephen and Bill you already know this stuff of course, but perhaps I can generate some broader interest here).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    you then adjust these blades to exclude everything beyond the perimeter of the ground glass, thereby effectively eliminating camera/veiling flare,
    Effectively reducing extraneous camera/veiling flare. Around 80% of veiling flare comes from the subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good point. I should have been more precise about that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin