Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,200   Online: 1065

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilfotec DD-X -- How to Dispose of it

I wanted to try a new developer and picked up a bottle of Ilfotec DD-X. However, reading the bottle, it says it's very bad for the environment. Not wanting to poison my own water supply, how should it be disposed of? Is a small developing tank of diluted mixture too much to dump down the drain?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have you seen the warnings on glacial acetic acid, and how it has to be shipped? And the stuff is actually purified and concentrated white vinegar. Dilute it and use on a salad.

As for toxicity, don't worry about it. Just don't dump it directly into a fish bowl or something like that. It actually takes a lot of photochemicals to mess up a septic tank, and normal municipal sewage systems handle waste that's far nastier and concentrated than hobbyist photochemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are reading a label mandated in England and possibly the EU. See the thread about de-ionized water and the problems our British brethren have buying distilled water over there.

For that mater, see the MSDS for hydrogen dioxide, which I think someone posted once.

I seriously doubt it's any worse, or even significantly different, from most other developers, with the possible exception of Xtol.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Buy some Ilford Delta 3200, which will neutralize it quite effectively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post

For that mater, see the MSDS for hydrogen dioxide, which I think someone posted once.
    You mean Dihydrogen monoxide, yeah?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Uh, yeah.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by trotkiller View Post
    You mean Dihydrogen monoxide, yeah?
    Sounds even worse when you call it hydrogen hydroxide (HOH i.e. H2O)
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Sounds even worse when you call it hydrogen hydroxide
    That's pretty basic.

If you want the alternate form ask for Hydroxylic Acid.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some years ago Kodak stated that considering the amount of chemicals used by an amateur photographer that they pose no threat to septic tanks or a city's waste water system. So relax and use any developer you wish. Some cities offer disposal of used fixer.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin