Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,100   Online: 946

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Oops. Tri-X @ 12,500

Hi Guys-

I had set out to shoot some Tri-X @3200. My exposure was supposed to be 1/30 f4 for the whole roll. The camera ended up being set at 1/125 f3.5 for the whole roll. I figure that I pretty much exposed the film as if it were ISO 12500. I have never pushed Tri-X THIS much. Now that I am home and figured out that I did this, what developer would any of you recommend. I have D-76, X-Tol, and T-Max developer at my disposal but would certainly be willing to pick up any developer that would allow the film to still be pretty usable.

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't tried pushing Tri-X that far. You might want to use a split developer.

From trying to work with TMax 400 at 3200 and 6400, what I found out is that there just needs to be a certain amount of light to make the film work. You'll only get the very top bright spots, and that's it. But do go ahead and develop it, because you never really know what's on the roll!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    maybe get hold of some rodinal (its cheap and last forever) and try stand developing it for 2 hours. that will bring out any detail on your film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektagraphic - I would call that film unusable by a long shot. If you want to try anyway, you can use any of the developers you listed. For that much overdevelopment it won't make a difference which one. You should dilute the D76 or XTOL to at least 1+3 if you want to try this. The idea would be to use a long development time with less agitation than normal in an attempt to get maximum shadow detail while restraining the highlights somewhat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A quick thought, how about shoot the whole roll again in normal condition? ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From some stuff that I had found on the web, I think Rodinal and stand development may work best....I wish I could re-shoot it but it was a concert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A long development time in XTOL diluted 1+3, with reduced agitation (say 15 seconds agitation every 2 to 3 minutes after 1 minute initial agitation) will give you at least as much speed as stand Rodinal, probably more, and better contrast control. And without the stand development risks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What would I use for a development time Michael?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Would it be possible to re-shoot a test roll in similar conditions (say indoor in your house), and test what is being proposed (ie Xtol 1+3)?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Would it be possible to re-shoot a test roll in similar conditions (say indoor in your house), and test what is being proposed (ie Xtol 1+3)?
    You could just shoot a few frames and snip that part of the film off in the darkroom, saving the rest of the roll.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin