Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,181   Online: 798

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Paper light sensitivity

I'm making a ULF pinhole camera, but running into the issue of f/stops in the triple digits. The other issue is that I definitely do not have the money for LF film, much less ULF film. Therefore, I'm using B/W print paper, which as I understand has and effective ISO of 3 to 12, depending on who you talk to.

I'm wondering if there's anyway to get that sensitivity higher. I don't care how grainy/contrasty it gets, I'd just like to push the iso to at least 25. Maybe using really high concentration developer? Are there brands/types of paper that are particularly sensitive?

Any information is appreciated. Worse comes to worst, I just have to deal with sunny day exposures ranging in the minutes, or softer pictures.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    - cold tone papers are more sensitive than warm tone papers
    - Foma is more sensitive than Ilford
    - You may use preflashing which additional gives a softer graduation. Paper is hard in comparision to film.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've not experimented with paper negatives much, but based on experience with enlargements, Kentmere VC Select paper requires much shorter exposures than Ilford.

Ian

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    true.paper exposed to daylight has too much contrsast, but a light yello filtertakes care of that nicely.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi

some papers have an iso of 25-50 believe it or not ...
    paper is funstuff ...
    if you process it in exhausted print developer you can control the contrast more.
    i process all my paper negatives in 2 baths. 1 is print developer, and one is a coffee based developer.
    they come out great. the thing to also think about is that what looks good as a paper negative
    might not look good as a film negative. paper negatives sometimes look "thin" whereas film negatives have some meat on them.

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another way to control the excessive contrast is to develop in film developer. What ever film developer you have on hand or dilute you regular paper developer. Also normally you develop a paper for a standard time and just expose another sheet if you need more or less exposure. With a slow working developer you have the option to pull a sheet early if it is overexposed since getting another pinhole shot is not that easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A visit to this site may prove helpfull.

http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/for.../Blah.pl?b-cc/
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I didn't know that

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    true.paper exposed to daylight has too much contrsast, but a light yello filtertakes care of that nicely.
    Thanks Ralph! It's a wonderful tidbit of very useful information. I'll definitely use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alright. So I'll probably use foma paper, exhausted paper developer and/or caffenol, and shoot with a yellow filter. Hopefully the combination will push me to around effective ISO 50. A few stops can turn an evening out for a nightscape into three weeks of waiting.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > exhausted paper developer

I recommend film developer. It gives less contrasty paper negatives.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin