Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,633   Online: 1084

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Replenished XTOL

I switched over to XTOL Replenised over a year ago after my 1 1/2 year old died suddenly. As I mostly use reversals, it can take a while to use it all up. I have been pleased with the results. But after a year of using this batch, 1 still have 1 ltr of unused xtol that could actually be dead without me knowing.

My question is, does it matter? I am unsure how the replenised/stock react to each other under that situation. Would there be enough life in the replenish bottle (2l) to compensate?

I am asking that question beceause I would like to know, not because I am too cheep to mix up anouther pack.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    XTol is reliable as stock for 6-months according to Kodak, I've used it to 9-months at which point I believed it was losing its mojo and affecting the replenished stock.

It wasn't a matter of going totally dead, negatives just getting a bit thinner, then a bit thinner yet, as time went on.

If you are otherwise happy with XTol and replenishing I'd simply replace the stock roughly every six months. When you get your new stock this time I'd pour off half of your old working solution and top up with fresh.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This issue for me is that I am not entirely sure what goes bad in the stock would adversly effect the replenish portion. This is why I ask.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The active ingrediants in the working solution face the same problem as the stock does. If this is your first batch, the stock and the working solution are the same age. The active chemicals in both have over time been oxidizing which renders them inert in the development process.

If the stock solution is dead or dying it can't refresh the working solution which has been used up by both films and oxidation; the working solution just ends up more dilute (in terms of active ingrediants).

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since you're using it up so slowly, it seems to me that replenishment is not the best option for you. Consistency with replenishment requires frequent (more than once a week) use and therefore continuous turnover of the working solution.

Have you tried it at 1+1?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Since you're using it up so slowly, it seems to me that replenishment is not the best option for you. Consistency with replenishment requires frequent (more than once a week) use and therefore continuous turnover of the working solution.

Have you tried it at 1+1?
    Volume changes, shooting more C41 and less normal B&W, was one of the reasons I quit XTol. The other was simply a personality thing, a bit of boredom, it was time for me to try something new (DD-X and WD2D+).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin