Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,761   Online: 949

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Vaughn,

And, as I mentioned above, when the toning times get to long, I replenish my toning solution with a bit of the concentrate.

www.DoremusScudder.com
    Do you measure the activity with test strips or do you use any other method for determining the selenium concentration in the working solution ? If you start off with , for example , 1:10 dilution the real concentration would quite soon be totaly unknown after some toning and replenishment.
    Normally I also use your method of printing and waiting to a later time for toning the best prints.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Vaughn,

My toner solution never smells like ammonia. Freshly mixed KRST has an ammonia smell, but this goes away long before the toner is exhausted. When I replenish my toners, there is a short time when the ammonia odor is present, but it goes away rather quickly.

Often, I don't have to replenish at all. I've just today toned a batch of 48 prints (Adox Nuance, Emaks, Kentmere Bromide and Adox MCC) and my toner, which had not been used for months, worked just fine with no need for replenishing; and, never a trace of ammonia odor. I would state categorically that KRST does not have to smell like ammonia to be active and that the instructor you mention is in error and likely discarding lots of still-usable selenium, which is both uneconomical and environmentally irresponsible.

Karl-Gustaf,

I tone visually, i.e., I pull the print from the toner when the tone is pleasing and appropriate to the image. I no longer have any idea of the exact dilution of my toning solutions. I keep two solutions, one labeled "strong" and one labelled "weak" for different papers that require different strength dilutions to tone at comfortable times. (For instance, Adox papers tone very quickly, even in the weak solution while Kenmere and Oriental papers need longer times in the stronger solution.)

I adjust the dilution of the toners to achieve comfortable toning times. If times are too long, I'll add toner; I usually add 50ml concentrate per liter to start with and add more if the times are still too slow. If, for some reason, times are too fast (less than a minute or so is a bit fast for me), I just add water to the toner till times are more manageable. My toning times are generally between 1.5 and 8 minutes, depending on the paper, toner strength and desired tone change.

If I were just enhancing D-max, I'd use a very weak solution and pull the print when the tone just barely started to deviate from an untoned print. I'd shoot for a dilution that did this in 2-3 minutes. Mostly, however, I like a strong hint of brownish/purple and tone each image to a point where I like the image tone, meaning I use longer times or stronger dilutions or both. Everything is very subjective.

Hope this explains things adequately.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you , Doremus . Thats what I thought would be the case , to tone by inspection . Normally I just tone to make a slight increase in D-max but I use to stick a teststrip or two into the solution in order to see when the tone change occurs. I have noticed that ADOX MCC 110 comes up with a red-brown tone after some 5 - 7 minutes but the ADOX Fine Print Vario Classic can stay in solution for over 15 minutes without tone change. Perhaps you can see a very slight change to purple, but it is barely visible. I have used ADOX own selenium toner concentrate added to some old KRST ( 1:20 ) solution. Have you noticed any similar difference ?

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by K-G View Post
    Thank you , Doremus . Thats what I thought would be the case , to tone by inspection . Normally I just tone to make a slight increase in D-max but I use to stick a teststrip or two into the solution in order to see when the tone change occurs. I have noticed that ADOX MCC 110 comes up with a red-brown tone after some 5 - 7 minutes but the ADOX Fine Print Vario Classic can stay in solution for over 15 minutes without tone change. Perhaps you can see a very slight change to purple, but it is barely visible. I have used ADOX own selenium toner concentrate added to some old KRST ( 1:20 ) solution. Have you noticed any similar difference ?

Karl-Gustaf
    As I mentioned above, different papers tone at different rates due to the differences in the composition of the emulsion. For me, 15 minutes would be an unacceptably long toning time. I use a stronger toning solution for papers like the Adox Vario Classic and a weaker solution for papers that tone more quickly.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again. I will try some different concentrations and see how it works.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin