Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,000   Online: 826

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Depends on the size of the print. At a small magnification say a 4x5 print what you say is true. But differences would be seen in an 11x14 print.
    +1
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were doing "street photography", I would want a fast film; I'd shoot Delta 3200, rated at EI 1000.

If I couldn't (for whatever reason) use Delta 3200, then I'd use Delta 400 or T-Max 400. They're both excellent films, but I think TMY-2 is just a tad (maybe 1/3 stop) faster than Delta 400. Quality-wise, you can't go wrong with either of them.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seadrive View Post
    If I were doing "street photography", I would want a fast film; I'd shoot Delta 3200, rated at EI 1000.
    You could rate it at ISO 1000 because that's what it is!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Depends on the size of the print. At a small magnification say a 4x5 print what you say is true. But differences would be seen in an 11x14 print.
    Yes but since he is a medium format shooter, I didn┤t suppose that that would bother him too much ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    You could rate it at ISO 1000 because that's what it is!
    Ilford calls it Delta 3200, not Delta 1000. So pardon me for thinking someone might not realize that it's really a 1000 speed film.

Sheesh!
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you don't list fuji acros but it is amazing stuff, in 120 it has no grain -- i mean, no grain, the grain focuser can't find any, have to use image detail.

very nice stuff, super-wide tones, very sharp, and tends to be cheap than t hose other guys.

Another winner in 120 is Ilford XP2 -- it is c41 process, but has a tonal range not to be believed, really lovely. shoot it at exatly asa 400 and you will look like ansel adams. this image was shot on xp2 in 35mm (leica cl and, i think, voigtlander 15mm lens) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicago_0088.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	55039

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    you don't list fuji acros but it is amazing stuff, in 120 it has no grain -- i mean, no grain, the grain focuser can't find any, have to use image detail.

very nice stuff, super-wide tones, very sharp, and tends to be cheap than t hose other guys.

Another winner in 120 is Ilford XP2 -- it is c41 process, but has a tonal range not to be believed, really lovely. shoot it at exatly asa 400 and you will look like ansel adams. this image was shot on xp2 in 35mm (leica cl and, i think, voigtlander 15mm lens) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicago_0088.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	55039
    Wow! XP2 looks like a real interesting film.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my post! I dont think I worded it too well and you were all kind to not rip me too hard for that. I should not have asked which film is better, but rather what are the differences? Some went ahead and answered that question and I thank you all for that. It's hard when there are three different 400 speed films, how to choose?

I have not even started doing any development on my own yet, but that is coming soon. I am trying to find a comprehensive list of things I need to buy in order to get ready for home processing.

Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Wow! XP2 looks like a real interesting film.

Thanks!
    They all are.

That's why I shoot at box speed, use an incident meter, and develop per the instructions. Sticking to the norms that Ilford, Kodak, and Fuji provided allows me to shoot whatever I feel like and get reliable, high quality results.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin