Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,270   Posts: 1,534,453   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    The OP used "Paterson double tank for each set of film". So how many 120s can each tank hold, 1 or 2? If it's 2, then 4 rolls randomly picked out of 20 rolls will take at least 2 development sessions to be completed. Did OP notice the blank negative problem after the 1st session?

Most likely the films got fixed at first. It does happen with so many bottles lying around in darkroom. Of course, the worst is that no film is loaded in camera until it's time to rewind. It happened to me a few times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Paterson tank I have holds two rolls of 120. I did notice the problem after the first development session of the TMax rolls and thought it was just bad rolls and decided to try again. In hindsight, that was a dumb move since I didn't see the edge film imprint and proceeded to waste another two rolls. I think where the error happened was when I mixed the developer and probably only used solution A twice instead of adding solution B in preparing the working solution. The bottles were labeled A and B but I might have still missed it and just got them mixed up. For the rest of the process all of my developers, stops and fixes are well laid out and organized so I don't believe that's where I would have messed up.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I'll try again this morning, this time with just one sheet of 4x5 that I shot yesterday to test my developer before I ruin more rolls.
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you've narrowed the problem down.

My guess is two doses of Solution A and none of Solution B, or vice versa. That's happened millions of times.

Good luck.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 08-07-2012 at 04:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    Do a double check with a leader from a roll of 135, or a scrap of sheetfilm, in daylight. Of course, it should go black - if not, then ????? But at least it is quicker and easier as a test than using carefully shot film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So I gave it another shot today with fresh and carefully prepared solution. Being a little sensitive about wasting rolls of shots I used a single 4x5 exposed sheet. It came out ok, a little thin but I had the film info on the side so I assumed all was good. So I proceeded to run my rolls through it. I run two rolls of TMax and they both came out very thin with a few frames and film info completely gone. Also, pretty much zero stain that I got used to with the pyrocat. So now I'm doubting operator error and will be blaming it on the developer. As a double check I decided to mix up a fresh batch of Exactol Lux that I've had sitting on the shelf (and never opened) as long as my Pyrocat HD. Bought them together back in April I think. And the negs came out perfect with gorgeous stain, perfect tonality, exposures and sharpness on every image. Is it possible that my pyrocat is just expired, even after just a few months in the dark and cool place?
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great news, Aleksandra. Sounds like you're narrowing the problem down pretty well.

I have no experience with staining developers, so can't offer any suggestions in that regard.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pyrocat Pt A goes bluish green as it goes off and oxidises, mine lasts 18 months + in a partially full bottle, it also stains randomly, like fogging once badly oxidised. It's possible it wasn't that fresh when you bought it or something's happened to Pt B. BTW Exactol Lux goes off even quicker once opened.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to try the pyrocat HD mixed in glycol variant, it keeps almost indefinitely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may have inadvertantly cross contaminated your solutions A and B, causing one of them to be exhausted prematurely. I use two seperate medicine dosers marked for A and B, never use one for the other. Always be careful to keep them seperate, never mix the caps up. Always mix immediatly before using, and discard solution after one use. I mix while doing the presoak, adding solution A to my premeasured water then adding B just before placing into the tank with film.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the tips! I did order new Pyrocat HD mixed with glycol and should have it tomorrow. I discarded the other two developers I had out of fear of ruining more film. I'll be even more careful now about my mixing procedures and hopefully this one will last significantly longer. I didn't want to give up on it since I really love my previous results.

Again, thanks, you were all tremendously helpful!

Aleks
    Aleksandra Miesak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin