Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,257   Online: 747

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bad developer or operator error?

Help!
    I just processed four rolls of 120 film in Pyrocat HD and all of them came out completely clear. I make a fresh batch from two solutions that are less then 2 months old with distilled water before each developing session. Mixed 1+1+100. I haven't processed any rolls in about month and a half and last time I did I used the same developer with great success. The film I processed included two rolls of TMax-100 and two rolls of HP-5+ at ISO 200. I used the Paterson double tank for each set of film. I used Massive Dev chart app for time and temperature and I developed the TMax for 14:45 min @ 21C and HP-5 for 14:06 @ 20C after 3 min of presoak in distilled water. So that's the technical info. Now the rolls I went with were picked at random from a stash of film I've had waiting for processing in the fridge for about 2 months. And I don't label my film so these were picked at random out of about 20 rolls. So I'm trying to figure out if it's possible for me to completely ruin the exposure on four random rolls. And I doubt it because I didn't even get the name of the film or frame number to show up. So what happened? Where did I mess up? I figured I'd ask here before I go ruining another two rolls. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    Aleks
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Did you shake solutions B prior to adding water? You MUST do this...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the edge imprinting visible?

If not, you fixed it without developing it.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post

- Leigh
    That's my thought too...
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

- Leigh
    Hmmm... I don't understand how I could have not developed it if I soaked it in the developer solution for the times I specified above. But no, there was nothing on the roll. Would you mind explaining further how that's possible.

Also, what order should I have mixed the solution? There is nothing specific in the Formulary's instruction as far as order of mixing. I remember I did shake solution A but maybe didn't shake B enough. And maybe I mixed them in the incorrect order. Also, I agitated continuously for the first minute and then for 10 seconds every 3 minutes but I believe that's pretty standard.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping to give it another shot tomorrow with a fresh batch if I can get some more clarification here.
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's usually a problem with forgetting to include a necessary constituent in a multi-part developer, or
    exchanging the solutions accidentally, so the film gets fixed before it gets developed.

It happens all the time. A forum search will find innumerable threads on the same subject.
    And yes, those threads are full of individuals swearing they didn't do that. Well, yes they did.

Not a major calamity. We've all done it.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's usually a problem with forgetting to include a necessary constituent in a multi-part developer, or
    exchanging the solutions accidentally, so the film gets fixed before it gets developed.

It happens all the time. A forum search will find innumerable threads on the same subject.
    And yes, those threads are full of individuals swearing they didn't do that. Well, yes they did.

Not a major calamity. We've all done it.

- Leigh
    I'm definitely not denying "operator's error" in this instance. It's very possible I missed something during mixing or confused the solutions. So this was just a way to clarify further by process of elimination. So thanks for that. I'll try again in the morning with a fresh batch and maybe color code the solution bottles so it's "stupid proof". Like I said I've worked with Pyrocat before and loved my negs so I was really hoping it was in fact something on my end
    Aleksandra Miesak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have all my bottles and graduates labeled, and always line them up in the same order, with the developer on the left, fixer on the right.

If you're using graduates (as I prefer), fill the fixer first, developer last, to avoid contamination and confusion.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Large Format
    were the images exposed at all in the camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mick8585 View Post
    were the images exposed at all in the camera?
    That's the reason for the question about the edge imprint, which was done at the factory.

If the imprint is visible but no images, that would indicate an exposure problem of some sort.

Since the imprinting is not present, there's a processing problem.

- Leigh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin