Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,475   Posts: 1,644,353   Online: 911

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. I've only used PF kits to mix 130.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've resorted to keeping the Glycin in the freezer until needed.

I have developed paper with ANSCO 130 when the Glycin was no longer fresh, resulting in a brownish developer - the prints came out brownish as well (I liked it for some prints!).

A mixed stock solution of ANSCO 130 (with fresh Glycin) will last for several months.

Having said all that, Ethol LPD is my preferred developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glycin always fizzes for me in 130 too.

I buy 100 grams of glycin (and already have the other ingredients). I mix up 9 litres of stock solution (using 99 grams of glycin) and the stock solution seems to keep up to a couple of years, so I get through it all, typically.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The longevity of 130 is well documented, but that presumably assumes there are no premature oxidation or other problems when it is being mixed fresh. So while it turns brown with use, my assumption at this point is that if it starts out brown, it's no good. Certainly it is not what I would want to use when trying to do accurate paper/developer tests.

I'll try one more batch for the purposes of these tests, but frankly I am unlikely to use 130 anymore. 130 may end up being part of my upcoming scathing review of the photographic process. Beware, people....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'll try one more batch for the purposes of these tests, but frankly I am unlikely to use 130 anymore. 130 may end up being part of my upcoming scathing review of the photographic process. Beware, people....
    can't wait to read that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pity 130 didn't work out for you, but I've been using it for five years with terrific results. It's particularly useful for the occasional darkroom worker, since it has such a long life as both a stock solution and a working solution.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have mixed the PF130 kit and it fizzed also, turned dark brown (similar to Coca-Cola) and works great. Long life and beautiful prints. Works for me!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use about four pounds of Glycin a year and have never had fizzing except once in the beginning when I way overheated the developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    when i spoke with the good folks in montana
    the last time i bought my years supply of 130 ...
    i was told that it isnt supposed to fizz, and does
    because i use regular old tap water to make it ..
    if i used distilled it wouldn't fizz ...

michael, did you use distilled or tap or ? to make your developer?
    i sometimes use my black as cocacola 130 to process paper negatives it works great.
    aged-stuff works great for film too ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi John - I used distilled. Not that one should have to though...

Regarding the dark brown color, don't get me wrong I'm not saying it won't develop paper. But the purpose of this particular batch was a careful testing of print color. In that context I can't be sure if a 130 solution that starts out brown will be useful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin