Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,998   Online: 800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mixing brown Ansco 130 (Formulary 130)

Never had this happen before with 130, but everything was going fine until I added the Glycin. Usually 130 is clear and colorless until the Glycin goes in, at which point it gets a mild brownish tint.

This time it really went brown. Darker than usual. The Glycin powder looked fine. It was as it should be - very light tan, almost white. So not sure what happened here.

thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try it and see how it works. I have used almost mungy brown 130 developer a few years old and it still works.

Glycin, as you are aware, does not store well dry. I keep mine under glass frozen with my film and paper stash.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Michael, this happened to me a few times, mostly turning it to a light tea color. The developer worked fine though. Then recently it mixed to a slightly darker brown and I tried it and it was worthless. After that I gave up on all 130 formulas as I don't like to have to keep track of glycin and worry about consistency, plus 130 is a rather expensive developer though used replenished can be economical. Onward with LPD! The only developer I need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian, I'm not normally into mixing these "kits" and I do worry about consistency, which is why I will likely stick with plain old Dektol, the developer I've used 98% of the time since the beginning.

I've used 130 before on occasion, and recently decided to include it in a test I'm doing (which I mentioned to you in a recent PM) with Ilford MGWT (along side my usual MGIV). I want to see what the "real deal" is. So I'm going to (or was going to, until I got this brown 130) develop MGWT and MGIV in Dektol, 130, and Moersch SE-3 ("Cold").

The Glycin looked good. I don't know what went wrong but it fizzed and turned brown when I added it. Perhaps I should try a lower mixing temperature, something around high 30s (C).

In general I haven't had good luck with dry kits (I'm not referring to packaged powders from Ilford or Kodak). I haven't done many of them but I've had trouble with Metol, PPD and now Glycin. And in the end even when things have gone ok during mixing I've always felt uneasy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fizzing indicates that you added an acid to the carbonate solution. Sounds like bad glycin. I've never had that happen, but my experience has been like Brian Steinberger's - up to a light tea color and maybe a bit beyond, the developer works. But really old glycin doesn't work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That was what I thought when I heard the fizzing. But the Glycin "looked" good so I wasn't sure. Anyhow I guess I'll try one more time.

Thanks for the feedback.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Was the solution really warm/hot? That can cause the fizzing and poor mixing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Started at 50C. Probably a few degrees cooler than that by the time I got to the Glycin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    The fizzing indicates that you added an acid to the carbonate solution. Sounds like bad glycin. I've never had that happen, but my experience has been like Brian Steinberger's - up to a light tea color and maybe a bit beyond, the developer works. But really old glycin doesn't work.
    the glycin ALWAYS fizzes when i mix my 130 ( 12 years ? )
    the first time it did, it scared the daylights out of me, but now ... SSDD

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The glycin has always fizzed for me as well, even with the whitest of white glycin. Michael, did you buy a PF kit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin