Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,869   Posts: 1,629,354   Online: 734

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ACROS Name?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    The other big question is what the correct pronunciation of acros is. Ah-cross, ack-Ross, across? Lol
    I say ak-roce.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    One has to be somewhat carful with examples like mama and baba. The russian word dada means uncle not father.
    Mama, dada, and similar are nonsense words that should not be considered part of any language.

They're our renditions of the first sounds that babies make, and babies have no idea what sounds mean.

The most persistent and universal words across languages and time are the names of body parts.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mama & papa are perfectly valid English words check the Oxford English dictionary and the russian word for uncle is Дядя (dya-dya)
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gerry, are you sure those Swedes were...ahem, really Swedish? Kära mamma och pappa...in that case. A Swedish engineer who doesn't know his linguistic roots? Sounds like someone took you for a ride...

Eddie got it right.

BTW: I learnt Swedish at a very tender age. Never bothered to try to master or learn any other language.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Trasselblad,

Yes they were swedish and great people to work with. One of the things that I had to do with the product was to change the pulldown menus from English to the swedish equivalents provided to me.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin