Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,278   Online: 849

Shooter
    35mm

Foma b&w reversal kit

Anyone has used this kit by Foma?
    Impression, comments, even developing times for various films are welcomed :-)

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Alessandro,

I currently have no time, but I will reply forthcoming weekend. Your question is not forgotton and I may help you. <g>
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    35mm
    Today I've received my kit from Fotoimpex.de, a truly fresh set of chemicals (they were backordered). I'll post the results soon (using either Agfa Scala, Fomapan 100R or Maco Po100c).

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Alessandro,

I tried the kit with several films and we had good results - Michael and I wrote an article regarding the testing involved with it and how to deal with problems... it is written in German, I´ll translate it as soon as I can spare the time.

http://sw-magazin.de/swmag_leser_09.htm

One caveat at the beginning:

there is an error in the german translation of the manual. it says to prepare 30ml sulphuric acid and add water to it. DON´T. Do it the opposite way.

Mix the bleach just prior to usage and filter the solution. Treat the used solution with Soda (sodium carbonate). Add a teaspoon or two and watch the reaction - the solution will be neutralized, the potassium permanganate will react to manganese dioxide and you may dispose it in the sewage.

Re the films.

We have tried Scala, APX and R100 with fine results. Haven´t used the Maco, but others reported of slipping emulsions and _no_ success at all.

R100 responds very kindly to changes in the first development, Scala and APX needed to be exposed at 125ASA to result in decent tonality.

The procedure in short:

- no prewash, pre-warm is not necessary at 20°C process temperature

- first development 12min (Scala, APX@125ASA, Fomapan@100ASA)

- one wash with tempered water, then acid stop bath (3% acetic acid)
    - bleach for 8min
    - wash with several bath changes - as long as the water needs to clear up, just enough to loose the faint pink tone
    - clearing bath of 4min
    - a single, short wash
    - reexposure, remove the reel from the tank and place it in a water filled bowl. Expose 2x3min with 40W, continue to move the reel in the bowl.
    - reinsert the reel in the tank
    - second development for 5min (reuse the developer from first development!)
    - short wash
    - fix for 4min
    - wash following the Ilford guidelines (actually Agfa).
    - wetting agent or stabiliser prior to hanging the film to dry.

The Agfa films are very tough, the Foma emulsion will be quite soft. Don´t use a squeegee, don´t pull the film through your fingers - the emulsion will suffer damages.

HTH.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    Alessandro,

The Agfa films are very tough, the Foma emulsion will be quite soft. Don´t use a squeegee, don´t pull the film through your fingers - the emulsion will suffer damages.
    Thanks for your kind response. May I treat the films with a hardener (Tetenal one) just before the final wash just to strenghten them or would be it a bad idea?
    Thanks again.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Allessandro,

nope, thats too late, the damages usually occur about the time of the second development. Use the stop bath steps and the minmalised washing sequence and you´ll be fine.

The hardener would only harden what is left of the emulsion and you´d have to prolonge the washing.... much much longer.

I have a bottle of that TT stuff here, but I don´t use it anymore, I know how to treat my Efke films. ;-)
    Tschüss,
    Roman

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin