Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,299   Posts: 1,681,511   Online: 793

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PH Meters

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm partial to Orion (now owned by Thermo) pH meters. Beckman makes fine meters as well. For Orion, look for 520, 720, 920 models for desktop, or 290 for handheld. If you look long enough, you can get a nice digital model for cheap.

Get a digital, as I can tell from your past posts you will not be happy with a swing needle readout. And if you're fine with a needle readout, I've got a beautiful Corning Model 10 I'll sell you at a good price! It was the state of the art in 1980 before digital readouts started to take over the market. It has a needle swing of 10" so it is pretty precise.

Get a probe that is refillable, and get a temp compensation probe either separate from the pH probe or built in. The built in ones are sometimes called triodes as they have a pH electrode, reference electrode, and temp sensor all in one.

Also look for a double junction electrode at the minimum as it has the reference electrode built in, with an extra junction built in to help with longer life.

I like Ross double junction electrode, again look for a refillable one, not a gel-filled one.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Also, I recommend stirring the solution when taking pH readings.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Themo electrode you linked to on Amazon above if fine but I'd suggest finding a surplus one on the bay.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    I'm partial to Orion (now owned by Thermo) pH meters. Beckman makes fine meters as well. For Orion, look for 520, 720, 920 models for desktop, or 290 for handheld. If you look long enough, you can get a nice digital model for cheap.
    For now, I can get by with my homemade circuit connected to a Fluke DVM, which buys me time to think about what meter to get. One thing I like about Beckman meters is they use the more standard phone plug for the ATC connection, instead of Orion's 6-pin connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Get a digital, as I can tell from your past posts you will not be happy with a swing needle readout.
    You're right about that. I have a nice swing needle voltmeter that I bought around 1973 from Lafayette Radio Electronics, before anyone heard of digital. Now I use the Fluke instead.

Anyway, I bought a Thermo probe last night, so thanks for your posting.

Mark Overton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin