Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,818   Posts: 1,581,645   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shipping Chemicals to Canada

Hi Everyone - I will be relocating to Canada for a year and was thinking of bringing my film development materials including : Xtol (in Solution and Replenished, in bottles), Rodinal (500 mL), Ilford Rapid Fixer, and indicator Stop Bath (Photographer's Formulary). All of these materials will be contained by hard-plastic case and sent off on a moving trailer.

Will I have any issues with Costumes at the border ?

Thanks a bunch for your comments !

Gabriel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabino View Post

Gabriel

I wouldn't trying anything too risque....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Everyone - I will be relocating to Canada for a year and was thinking of bringing my film development materials including : Xtol (in Solution and Replenished, in bottles), Rodinal (500 mL), Ilford Rapid Fixer, and indicator Stop Bath (Photographer's Formulary). All of these materials will be contained by hard-plastic case and sent off on a moving trailer.

Thanks a bunch for your comments !

Gabriel
    Your moving company(?)might be the problem with hazmat issues. Everything you've mentioned is available here. Where are you landing in "The True North Strong and Free?"

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I wouldn't trying anything too risque....
    Just remember there's an APUG black ops group that deals with this sort of humor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never attract any interest from the border authorities when I bring back packaged chemistry purchased in Seattle and brought home with me in the car - they don't seem to care.

The commercial packaging, but home use quantities seems to do the trick.

You may, however have problems with your stock and replenished XTol - unlabelled liquid chemistry may be a source of difficulty.

As mentioned above, you can (relatively) easily buy all the commercial packages in Canada, if that is any comfort.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If packaged with furniture or household appliance's be scared of rapture of container and spoiling some furniture. Also a moving company may have a policy about shipping certain liquids.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    When I've bought chemistry online it usually arrives in a package with an abundance of warning stickers and tape etc.- even just a battery arrives with some sort of hazardous label. So I'd probably check into it and see what the procedures are. As mentioned unmarked containers could likely be a concern.

I'd probably be thinking about finding someplace where I could buy some supplies in sizes that would last about the amount of time I'd be there, and bring whatever would be the safest for travel.
    Sharon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I never attract any interest from the border authorities when I bring back packaged chemistry purchased in Seattle and brought home with me in the car - they don't seem to care.

The commercial packaging, but home use quantities seems to do the trick.

You may, however have problems with your stock and replenished XTol - unlabelled liquid chemistry may be a source of difficulty.

As mentioned above, you can (relatively) easily buy all the commercial packages in Canada, if that is any comfort.

thanks MattKing - I guess I am going to leave both the stock and the replenished solutions behind to avoid problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Your moving company(?)might be the problem with hazmat issues. Everything you've mentioned is available here. Where are you landing in "The True North Strong and Free?"
    Good to hear that. I am moving to Waterloo, ON. Is there a store you can recommend ?

Thanks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks MattKing - I guess I am going to leave both the stock and the replenished solutions behind to avoid problems.
    If you know someone where you are headed, maybe you can get them to start up an X-Tol replenishment line, so it can be ready for you when you arrive .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin