Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,634   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tri-X pan professional TXP 523 - what is this??

I just acquired a mystery.

Just recently, I purchased two packs of well-expired what I thought was a regular sheet film. Got them and took it to my darkroom to examine....

What's in the light proof envelope is a pack, not sheets of film. Apparently, this is a pack of sheets of film with paper tabs attached to them.

On box, it says Kodak Tri-X pan professional, 16 exposures TXP 523 FILM PACK, CAT 140 3534

There seem to be very little known about this film....

Since this is a pack, does that mean I can take this pack out of the light proof back and examine it under normal light? Is there a way to take sheets out of the pack without destroying the whole thing? Since I cannot "see" what I have, there's no way to really explore my options.

I'm thinking someone here on APUG land knows??
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Presumably it works like this link? The film is on a thinner base and needs an adapter to hold the pack in place of the DDS apparently. I have only ever used normal sheets so have no further insights to offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I saw that link... and another one by the same person..... and that's pretty much the only info I can find on it so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hey there

you might like this link
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-4x5-pack-film
    but to use the film, you need a film pack adapter .. they used to be given away for free, i think i gave mine away or i would just mail it to you
    people seem to be grabbing up the film packadapters and converting them to wet plate holders ...
    if i come across one, i'll send you a note -

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is "Film Pack". Film Pack is roll film cut into sheets and packaged in a metal cartridge with a backing paper for each sheet. Film Pack was one of the original ways to carry more shots in a compact format. Originally the packs had twelve sheets of film packaged in a way that was roughly the same size as one double sided film holder. Later they were increased to sixteen sheet packs. There were also other formats available. The packs for 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 were "520" and the packs for 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 were "518" and the 4x5 size was "523". I have seen Film Packs in Tri-X, Plus-X, Super-XX, Verichrome and Verichrome Pan.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak was making 4x5 Tri-X film packs well into the 90s. I still have a holder for them to fit a Graflex Crown Graphic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see....

Seems I misjudged the item. I was looking for 4x5 film, not 2 1/4" width....
    Oh well.

Thanks everybody for helping out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    523 is 4x5. Get a film pack adapter for your camera and you are in business. The film pack should be wrapped in foil and you unwrap it and put the metal cartridge in the film pack adapter. The first paper tab is the safety paper for loading and you pull the paper tab out which uncovers sheet #1 in the pack. After each exposure, replace the darkslide and pull the tab for the sheet that you just exposed and the exposed sheet is moved to the back of the pack and the next sheet is ready for exposure. After the film has all been exposed you open the pack in the darkroom and you can process the film. Remember that the film base is thinner that regular sheet film.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pack is daylight loadable, it has a protective sleeve you pull out once it's in the adapter, similar to Polaroid/Fuji pack films if you're familiar with those.
    From Mopar_guy's info it sounds like you do have a 4x5 pack. But as John said, you need a film pack adapter. The sheets inside the pack are slightly larger than standard 4x5 sheets, and they are thinner, the same thickness as roll film. If you were determined, you could probably remove the film and with some trimming put the sheets into standard holders, though flatness would probably be a problem.
    If you put it up for sale, you'd probably get buyers, how old is it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin