Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,554   Online: 895

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now I feel guilty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I don't. Those products are no longer available. I don't think my remaining can and what's left of your 30 year old one is going to do any appreciable harm. It's already packaged, so we might as well use it.

I guess we could take it to our local hazardous waste disposal site ... but that's just going to an extreme, IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks! I use is sparingly because Beseler doesn't make it any more. For good reason.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Once you run out of CFC, try butane (lighter refill). Slightly heavier than air but you still need to give a good blast to expel all the oxygen.

Shooter
    35mm
    diflouroethane is a common one as is tetraflouroethane there is flouromethane as well. tetraflouroethane is another common one, the 'ice' smoke is quite harsh with this one which tells it apart, it displaces oxygen so it should be as effective as it wont react with the chemicals most of them are relatively inert.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jm94, I have been reading up on "canned air". It seems that people were huffing the stuff and some were dieing, so now bitterants are added to the products to dissuade people from doing that. Apparently the bitterants make huffing intolerable. If you use canned air to displace oxygen, you are also adding these unspecified compounds. One would need to know what bitterant is added to determine the effect on your developer.

Another thing I found out is that "canned air" is also a refrigerant. Difluoroethane (HFC-152a), trifluoroethane (HFC-143a), or tetrafluoroethane (HFC-134a). These are supposedly potent greenhouse gases, so even though they don't deplete ozone, there is still ample reason for some people to feel guilty using them. Thankfully, I'm not one of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What paper? Many have developer built in and only need sufficient ph to develop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford MGIV - Multigrade IV RC Deluxe, MGD.1M. Purchaed in 2004, I believe. I used most of it at the time I bought it, but I had about a dozen sheets left in the box, so I figured I'd experiment with paper negatives.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That will develop in alkali solution without developer (or dead developer) but probably not to maximum black.

Put a piece of film in room light in a small sample of either, that'll confirm developer activity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll try that. Thanks Athiril. I did not know that some papers had developers incorporated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin