Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,861   Online: 1192

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minus Red Filter?

I want a strong filter that will darken a brilliant red object on B & W film. I think a Wratten 44A is a "minus red" filter. My searches tell me it's a cyan or blue-green flter. I'd like to get a 67mm glass filter.

Is there another filter I should be looking for; it does not have to be truly "minus red"

Any suggestions on a good primer (book or site) on filter use in 1) b & w film and 2) color film? I guess the best are A. Adams for b&w and Horenstein books on color. Any good discussions of filter fundamentals elsewhere?

Thanks.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always used a green filter for that purpose. It is not truly minus-red, but close enough and easy to find.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 08-11-2012 at 06:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. Best primer I know of for filters is the B+W filter catalog, whcih is downloadable from the web --- Schneider web site.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have two B+W 67mm green filters. The 061 is dark green and has a filter factor of 3x. The 060 is light green and has a filter factor of 2x. I'm not sure what the equivalent is for a different brand. They both "darken" red with the 061 having more of an effect. Personally, I tend to use the lighter one more often to "lighten" foliage rather than "darken" reds.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    (deleted)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forget what I said... I had a brain glitch. Green filter is NOT #11. It is #61 -- the Wratten number. What was I thinking???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the Wratten 44 and 44A filters are cyan (minus red) filters. I'll attach a graph of similar passband filters. My suggestion would be to buy the strongest cyan CC filter that you can find, as that's probably as close to a 44 or 44A that you'll find in stock these days. The green filters are also minus-blue, not just minus-red. The Wratten #11 in the attached graph is a yellow-green filter, not the darker #61.

I bought a 44A B+W filter in Germany in 1982. Within a couple of years it had gotten a terrible rough 'fogged' surface, visibly raised, rough to the touch, but not like any fungus I'd seen. I tried to return it under the Schneider US lifetime warranty, but they wouldn't honor that in the US since I'd purchased in Germany (where Schneider wasn't the distributor). It's the only B+W filter I've had trouble with aside from a circular polarizer that was replaced under warranty.

Lee
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With Efke 25 and 50 films going away what filter and film combinations going do you suggest for similar results.
    Both of these films have low red sensitivity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haven't had or seen in person a B+W 080 or 081 filter before. Looks like the 081 might be a fair substitute for a Wratten 44, and the 080 might be good for mimicking the discontinued Efke films (or some degree of cyan CC filter). B+W filter curves are at https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs...sionCurves.pdf and the handbook is at https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs...ndbookFull.pdf

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=brianmquinn;1379263]With Efke 25 and 50 films going away ... QUOTE]

I thought it was just the paper that were being discontinued?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin