Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,681   Online: 869

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    But you don't know, beforehand or afterwards, if it did or will cause problems.

It's shoddy and ludicrous, not to mention unnecessary, in all cases.

- Leigh
    Agree and what a ludicrous thing to do. Patience is a virtue. Respect the process and don't look until all the unexposed silver is dissolved.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Turning on the lights in the stop is questionable and I only do it for paper test strips. Turning on the lights BEFORE the stop, well that's flirting with disaster. Turning on the lights after half the fixing time? May not be necessary but is totally safe. I did that on negatives I developed in high school in 1980. They're still fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not all of us routinely have film leader for checking clearing time.
    As Roger says, lights on after half or so of the fix time is no problem.
    Along that line, if you leave it in the dark for your expected fix time without inspecting it, you don't know if it cleared at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or 90% of that time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    As Roger says, lights on after half or so of the fix time is no problem.
    Along that line, if you leave it in the dark for your expected fix time without inspecting it, you don't know if it cleared at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or 90% of that time.
    But what does it matter if you over fix by a couple of minutes?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it doesn't have to be film leader and it only takes a sliver. Even if you only shoot large format, you can buy one roll of the cheapest 135mm film you can find, and it will last you a very long time. It's a cheap way to test your fixer and determine clearing time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I test with film leader myself, most of the time since I use a Jobo. But I do check in the tank, because it's easy to do, when I develop with an inversion tank (usually that means I'm using Diafine.) You don't have to of course, but I'm just defending the people who do from the cries of heresy and the crowd trying to erect the stake and gather firewood. It won't hurt a thing to expose to light half way (or even less) through the fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    It's a cheap way to test your fixer and determine clearing time.
    Why do you care?

Follow the manufacturer's instructions. I guarantee they've done more extensive testing than you have.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you leave it in the dark for your expected fix time without inspecting it, you don't know if it cleared at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or 90% of that time.
    Why do you care?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Why do you care?

Follow the manufacturer's instructions. I guarantee they've done more extensive testing than you have.

- Leigh
    Last I looked, they said it was ok to expose film to light after 1/2 the fixing time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Roger,

Yes, I believe that's the recommendation that I've seen on commercial fixers.

- Leigh

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin