Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,017   Online: 670

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fujifilm Chemicals?

I never see any reference to FUJIFILM developing chemicals. Do they not make any? Has that always been the case or did they recently stop? I know that they own a chemical company (FUJIFILM HUNT) but I've never seen anyone list their chemicals as being a favorite. Seems odd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dont think their C41 process is that easy to get in the US but I have seen our brethren in Europe use their C41 stuff and say it does what it's designed and easier to get then the roulette it takes to get Kodak C41 here in the states.

I think in Japan they have some B&w chemical products that I see mentioned now and again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Fuji Hunt chemicals are available to minilabs, here is one supplier, but for some reason they are not available through any retail channels. The guy I bought my Fujimoto CP-31 from only used Fuji Hunt, but he was a Director of Arts at a University and got his supplies via the school's account.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji makes a full range of developing products for film and paper. They also have a variety of papers that are not available outside Japan. Most everything available here is Fuji, Chugai is another local brand. I can really only get Kodak or Ilford chemicals when I'm Tokyo or other big cities.

Off the top of my head, some of the film developers include microfine and super prodol (black and white), and papitol is the paper developer. Drywel is their equivalent to Photoflo, and they have an AgGuard Stabilizing agent which I believe is like Agfa Sistan. And of course stop, fix, and HCA as well. Unfortunately the fix tends to come with a hardener, which I don't like, but the public darkrooms use it. They have colour chemicals as well. Naniwa is another option for colour film and prints.

Since I'm a creature of habit and I like my D-76, Rodinal, and Xtol (I use Ilford products for everything else but the developer), I haven't really tried any of the Fuji chemicals other than Drywel, since Photoflo is impossible to get here. In addition, there is little to no English support for the chemicals or paper. However, the last time I was in a photo store a couple weeks ago the cost of Kodak chemicals had more than doubled, so I may be looking at alternatives in the future. I think there are a few other members currently in Japan here on APUG who have used Fuji chemicals, they might chime in here.
    Last edited by mooseontheloose; 08-12-2012 at 11:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think Kull Photo in Kent, WA, stocks Fiji Hunt; never ordered...
    http://www.kullphoto.com/photolabproducts.htm
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you meant this link for Kull Photo Fuji Hunt chemicals: http://www.kullphoto.com/fujihuntchemicals.htm. Looks promising. If someone tries to order, I hope they'll post results.

Raf

Shooter
    35mm
    There are still several manufacturers in the world that supply C41 chemistry. Please visit our website www.cpac.be for more technical data.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I dont think their C41 process is that easy to get in the US but I have seen our brethren in Europe use their C41 stuff and say it does what it's designed and easier to get then the roulette it takes to get Kodak C41 here in the states.

I think in Japan they have some B&w chemical products that I see mentioned now and again.
    Why would it be hard to get Kodak C41 chemicals in the US?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RattyMouse, the problem for low volume home darkroom users of Kodak Flexicolor chemicals in the US is that the products are packaged only in volumes suitable for minilabs and large labs. Kodak provides instructions in CIS-49 for preparing smaller than package amounts of C-41, RA-4, and E-6 chemicals. In the case of C-41, there are several lines of chemicals formulated for different types of processing. Figuring out which ones you need for your situation is not too difficult. But finding a retailer who stocks all of what you need and who will ship them (some won't ship) is difficult. Finding a minilab supplier who will ship a retail buyer single case lots rather than their normal minimums of 2x, 4x, up to 12x, for a reasonable cost is also problematic. Hazmat fees apply to the bleach, and so shipping costs are high. Bottom line, you may have to spend several hundred dollars to get started doing your own C-41 processing.

See this thread for example: Buying Flexicolor C41 chems will drive you nuts.

Now, Photographer's Formulary does repacakge the C-41 Flexicolor chemicals and makes it available in 1 liter sizes. The problem is that the per-roll cost of processing is comparable to other small package options like Rollei Digibase, Arista, Tetenal, etc., working out to somewhere between $2 to $3 per roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Raf View Post
    There are still several manufacturers in the world that supply C41 chemistry. Please visit our website www.cpac.be for more technical data.
    Raf, welcome to the forum. Are you with CPAC in Europe, by chance? The site you linked to is a bit easier to find useful information on than the US site.

Do you have any information that would be helpful to low-volume home darkroom users of CPAC products, such as instructions for mixing up less that full volumes (e.g., 1 or 2 liters at a time), and processing instructions for small inversion tanks, trays, or rotary processors like the Jobo CPP-2 or Phototherm processor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin