Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,582   Online: 1146

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not recommend using a specific developer to reduce film speed. It will not improve image quality. Assuming that the total subject brightness range still fits within the straight line part of TMY's characteristic curve even with 3 stops overexposure, the only compromise versus the "correct" exposure would be a small increase in graininess and a slight reduction in sharpness. And using a speed-losing developer will not really improve either of those characteristics - particularly in the case of Rodinal which yields relatively coarse grain to begin with.

So to repeat, assuming the total subject brightness range is within the scale of the film even with overexposure (and that would appear to be the case here given the description of subject contrast, and the long straight-line curve of TMY), I'd suggest you use D76 the way you normally would. This will ensure total and local contrast remain normal, and you'll simply have a more dense negative that needs longer printing times. Not a problem.

In other words, don't pull-process this film (which would reduce contrast) and don't change developers in an attempt to reduce speed. The exposure is already on the film. Use it.

I always tell people to make the same error on a fresh roll and use it for practice.

I use D76, but most developers are -20% for one stop over.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    TMY has about the longest scale of any film you can buy, way longer than any paper you'll ever print on. Unlike HP5+, which has a relatively abrupt shoulder, TMY's characteristic curve is straight as a die out to a density of way over 2.0. Overexposure will just slide the tonal range up the straight line portion of the curve without clipping. When using roll film and an incident meter I rate my TMY at 100. You should be fine.
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the advice. I ended up using HC-110 with dilution B. 5.5 min at 20 c. (Normal Processing). The negatives look a little dense but seem to scan well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Culver-City-Mural-2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	419.1 KB 
ID:	55537

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin