Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,512   Online: 813

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

No floor drain for big sink, pumps?

I have become tired of my tiny bathroom darkroom. Now I have 14 feet of sinks and the floor drain I was going to use is no good and not fixable. Any ideas how to handle large sinks in a condo. It's first floor, cement slab floor with only a bathroom and kitchen. I have been thinking holding tanks, pumps or draining through the wall into the bathtub. I am sure I am not the first with this problem.

The neighbors and association are not a problem as the building is artist owned legal work/live space. 10 years ago the plumber 'forgot' to install my utility sink! I let it pass and now I am lost without it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You need Plumbing Repair Man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfzm9dfqBw
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not an expert in any way, shape or form.

But I do know some people have used the sorts of solutions that people use to put bathrooms and other plumbing in basements, when the sanitary drain for the building is higher than the level of the fixtures that needed draining.

This may give you something of an idea: http://www.saniflo.ca/
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are many pumping options, often based on a submersible pump in a tank with a float switch. Goes under sink with drain via P-trap into top, pumps out to wherever. If you want to get heavy, you can buy a "masticating toilet" - same idea but it has a 4" infeed, chews up solids too and pumps it all out. If you go to a local plumbing showroom, they can probably demo a couple systems for you - it's a common problem for people with basements that are below their sewer lines.

If you're using this for photo chemicals, you will need to ensure that the impeller and shaft are stainless steel or plastic; there cannot be brass ANYWHERE in the pump, including bushes. Brass is a commonly used material in pumps because it casts and machines so easily and is relatively corrosion-resistant... but diluted fixer from your wash-water (let alone if you discard fixer down the drain) will eat it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the brass warning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your darkroom will be on the other side of a wall between your bathroom or kitchen plumbing you should be able to tie into it. It's just a matter of opening the wall then making whatever mods in the existing plumbing that are needed.

A hole through the wall with a drain empying into the bathtub isn't such a good idea. For one thing, it will stain the bathtub. For another, the chemistry may eat the drain assembly (DAHIK), plus it's probably a huge violation of plumbing codes.
    You may want to get a plumber in to help you come up with a plan, if it's stuff you are able to DIY, great, if not you can pay him for the stuff that requires professional work and do whatever else you are comfortable with taking on.

Even though your owner's association is ok with what you would like to do, you want to keep things legal according to your building codes, otherwise you may get into insurance liability problems if something bad happens, or you may have problems if you want to sell the place in the future. Not to mention that the codes establish a minimum standard for your health and safety, there's a lot of stuff in your plumbing that you don't want loose.

Too bad about the floor drain, they are really handy in a DR.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have become tired of my tiny bathroom darkroom. Now I have 14 feet of sinks and the floor drain I was going to use is no good and not fixable. Any ideas how to handle large sinks in a condo. It's first floor, cement slab floor with only a bathroom and kitchen. I have been thinking holding tanks, pumps or draining through the wall into the bathtub. I am sure I am not the first with this problem.
    My two sinks currently drain into five gallons buckets, until further notice. I usually only need empty them once per printing session. Not ideal, but not nearly as challenging as the lack of a sink.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    If your darkroom will be on the other side of a wall between your bathroom or kitchen plumbing you should be able to tie into it. It's just a matter of opening the wall then making whatever mods in the existing plumbing that are needed.

A hole through the wall with a drain empying into the bathtub isn't such a good idea. For one thing, it will stain the bathtub. For another, the chemistry may eat the drain assembly (DAHIK), plus it's probably a huge violation of plumbing codes.
    You may want to get a plumber in to help you come up with a plan, if it's stuff you are able to DIY, great, if not you can pay him for the stuff that requires professional work and do whatever else you are comfortable with taking on.

Even though your owner's association is ok with what you would like to do, you want to keep things legal according to your building codes, otherwise you may get into insurance liability problems if something bad happens, or you may have problems if you want to sell the place in the future. Not to mention that the codes establish a minimum standard for your health and safety, there's a lot of stuff in your plumbing that you don't want loose.

Too bad about the floor drain, they are really handy in a DR.
    +1
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Now I have 14 feet of sinks and the floor drain I was going to use is no good and not fixable.
    Try taking a Shop Vac and sucking the dirt and crud out of the trap of the floor drain. Alternate between pouring water down the drain and sucking it back out with the wet vac. It is also possible that during construction concrete or grout went down the drain and plugged the trap. That is a harder fix.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin