Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,955   Online: 769

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Fuji velvia 50 120 no longer in production?

Is this film no longer being made? my camera store said it was out of production and they would charge me 18 for a roll of it.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...me_Velvia.html
    ^^here it is still being sold for a reasonable price
    Thanks, John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is still made, your camera store is just trying to rip you off. :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    120 is still in production, it's the 4x5 film that was discontinued. Apparently, some unscrupulous dealers are jacking up the price even on the non-discontinued film.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here we go...
    Velvia 50 in 120 is not out of production. Velvia 50 in 4x5 format, along with Velvia 100F 4x5, is scheduled to be off-production in the last couple of months of this year. Other formats are not affected.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Here we go...
    Velvia 50 in 120 is not out of production. Velvia 50 in 4x5 format, along with Velvia 100F 4x5, is scheduled to be off-production in the last couple of months of this year. Other formats are not affected.
    If the page below tells the truth

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...essional-films

Velvia 100F is going to be discontinued in all formats: 135, 120, and 4"x5".

The announcement was made with months of advance so making a good inventory at decent prices should not be a problem if you particularly like using a discontinued film.

Buying film at online stores is probably the future. Small shops cannot run much of an inventory in this hard times, they must buy small volumes and they cannot be competitive with big retailers.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Buying film at online stores is probably the future. Small shops cannot run much of an inventory in this hard times, they must buy small volumes and they cannot be competitive with big retailers.
    Small shops could add a lot of value to the experience if they actually gave out credible information. It's the many stories from small retailers trying to rip off unknowing customers and the associated breach of trust which makes these small shops less and less viable.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where is the Bulletin from Fujifilm to support the statements in the British Journal of Photography? Professionals would have received such a bulletin now, or viewed it, from their usual sources of these films.
    They can take 100F, but not 50 — there would be an uproar. I and the lab have found 100F to be particularly challenging to work with, yielding good results only after a lot of colourimetric and inversion work. The problem is with the yellow and red layers.
    Correspondence with Fujifilm Australia has found no confirmation of discontinuation of any films this side of the globe, nor have pro-level dealers I regularly communicate with received any Retail Bulletin that confirms discontinuation. Prices of 100F and 50 here in Australia are very, very appealing; I'm buying a box at least each week or fortnight now but need to throw out some chooks and steaks to make room in the freezer.

And when E6 is no longer offered ... then what?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got the new Freestyle catalog in the mail and they list Velvia 50 RVP in 35mm, 120, and 4X5.

Shooter
    Medium Format

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin