Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,789   Online: 712

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

To: Jorge

Jorge: Thank You for contributing your insight. Gracias por hacer una contribucion de su experiencia.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's the article from David Kachel's Front Door...his webzine of old and new magazine articles. As per his request, I'll give the link to his opening page, then hit "Articles", then hit "Zone System Contraction Part III - SLIMT'S".

http://codemastersworkshop.com/frontdoor/index.htm

There is some VERY interesting reading there...

Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Here's the article from David Kachel's Front Door...his webzine of old and new magazine articles. As per his request, I'll give the link to his opening page, then hit "Articles", then hit "Zone System Contraction Part III - SLIMT'S".

Murray
    Thank you Murray, I often wondered what happen to him. Good to know he is still around.

Images
    Some years ago I tried the SLIMT on prints. It takes considerably more printing exposure and for me it was no different from a method of flashing that I was using. This was what i called "while flashing" and consisted of adding a known amount of non-image light to the projected image. I would set the exposure for the highlight with the flashing light off and then adjust the flashing light to bring the shadow to the desired threshold. This depended on my having an easel densitometer that I could set to read Zones. So, Zone VIII would be set with the enlarger and Zone III with the flashing light.

As I said, I could not tell th difference between that and a successful application of SLIMT. The SLIMT was not always successful.

On negatives, the bleaching is easier than latensification as described by Vestal a la Steiner. I was working on a device for latensifying a whole roll of 35 mm without having to sit for half an hour in the dark. Never finished it, though.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just one more tidbit about SLIMT development: Lynn Radeka uses SLIMT instead of reduced development for all his N-1,2,3 negatives. From reading what he says about it, it's a very reliable method of reducing contrast. About 1/3 stop is lost for every contraction level. Once you've bleached the negatives (and rinsed them in a water bath), you can develop them normally with all other 'N' negatives.

It sounds simple - I may give it a try.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    To avoid confusion, isn't it SLIMT for B&W negatives and the Sterry Method for B&W paper?

I found SLIMT via Radeka as well. For whatever reason, I had to increase his recommended 8mls of bleach solution to 10mls for SLIMT to give me the right level of contraction. I'll never go back to dilute developer for contractions.

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    To avoid confusion, isn't it SLIMT for B&W negatives and the Sterry Method for B&W paper?

I found SLIMT via Radeka as well. For whatever reason, I had to increase his recommended 8mls of bleach solution to 10mls for SLIMT to give me the right level of contraction. I'll never go back to dilute developer for contractions.

Murray
    I just ran through a few negatives at -1, -2 and -3 using SLIMT - while they're just step wedges, the lower densities look quite strong, so this could very well be a promising way to reduce negative contrast while maintaining shadow separation.

I used Lynn's recommended dilutions, so I'll see what happens.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    Film: You may be taking a photo of a scene that has far
    more contrast than you wish. If you develop, for example
    to n-3 you may end up with very muddy tones. Since the
    bleach affects the greatest density the most you can bring
    the highlights way down without the muddiness.
    This technique is also very usable on high contrast films
    that you wish to use as a continous tone material.
    No more yellow to orange filter for those clouds?
    May make up for the speed hit using the
    latent image bleach. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post

Murray
    Murray. Keeps coming up with page not found. No problem with Unblinkingeye article which was referred to in the other thread on dodging and burning for uneven skylines, although not under SLIMT..

Any help appreciated

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Murray. Keeps coming up with page not found.
    It did work in 2005 when this thread started...me-thinks Kachel is hibernating, or at least not seeking public attention at this time. I don't know of any other sources for his writing on SLIMT.

Murray

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin