Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,403   Online: 743

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Overdeveloped negatives, ferricyanide bleach + fix?

After a day out shooting photos on a 10 mile walk I proceeded to develop the roll, Kodak TMAX 100 but the phone rang and my brain went do dally and developed for 8 minutes instead of 6.5 im D76 stock. The negs looked very dense then when I went to print them the whites on the print were completely white (I.e no veins in the leaves, foliage completely white with no detail, the highlights completely blown. There is one of a Beatle, the beatle was fine. It the foliage it was on was all white with no detail and washed out. Would it be safe to use ferricyanide bleach plus fix to reduce the density of the negative without risking damage? The delta 100 roll that was shot under the same conditions and TTL meter settings I had developed fine. Glasses hung on a barbed wire fence were fine, but the barbed wire was totally white on the print.

Hope I can salvage these due to the sheer effort we went to get them! Me and my house mate were out shooting photos and I really want to recover these! I haven't messed up film developing in this way before!

Also to keep it up in one topic, how well would TMAX/ delta 100 respond n rodinal 1 + 50? I do plan to give that a try if it's worth a shot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't do anything to the negs until I try to print or scan them. Sometimes you'll be surprised how over developed negs look. Then think of the possibility of bleaching it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    unless you are very experienced with the bleaching process, before trying a bleach I would definitely print with a soft filter grade first to see if that wouldn't produce the result you want.
    Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    I have tried printing them at grade 2 which produced that result, would grade 1 or lower be worth a shot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try 00 (that's what it's there for...) if you must but I wouldn't bleach that....

It's only 23% too much development. It should be recoverable....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're itching to bleach, I would try a very dilute bleach on an out take neg on the same roll. Take good notes.

Bleaching dense negatives is fraught with peril. It's very difficult to do it evenly, and you will lose shadow detail. Best to try to print them or (gasp) scan them.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm
    Seeing as I only scan finished prints I will try to print at grade 00 and then get back with my results. I did think bleaching would be complicated hence asking and if it went for the least dense areas first that would mess up the shadows. Will get back with my results.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you have important images that can't be replaced, then shoot another roll for test, and over develop the same way. Cut that roll into several sections. Test with those sections to nail down the process.

Various reducers are available for salvaging dense negatives. Photographer's Formulary offers several types.

Charlie Strack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember I worked for a photographer that shot some chromes of an interior where the color balance was off. There was a lab in LA that would dye his 4x5 transparencies magenta to compensate for the green florescent lights. They did it in steps of course.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin