Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,090   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Proper way to face multiple prints together in developing trays

Hi,
    I remember that there is a proper way to lay multiple prints together into the same developing chem trays so they won't stick to each other. So you can dev/fix/etc multiple prints simultaneously Is it emulsion touching emulsion, emulsion touching back side? I know that my teacher had said which way it should be done, but then everybody did it their own way in class.
    Thanks,
    Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Ed,

If the prints are smaller than the tray, place them side-by-side with the emulsion facing upwards. If you place the papers emulsion-to-emulsion they won't develop, stop or fix properly; if you place them face down they could pick up muck from the tray or become abraded by rough surfaces and/or other prints. If you're using fibre-based papers and/or the prints are important, there should be a single print in each tray at any one time. Basically, the more care you take of your prints, the better the end result. Take your time, it's not a race. FB papers damage more easily that RC ones. Been there...

Cheers and good luck,
    kevs.
    testing...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I prefer to develop two prints at once , emulsion out, back to back . this stops wandering fingers hitting the paper to sink into the tray and bruising the print.
    I use wide borders and flip the prints as per Fred Picker reccomendations of good agitation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thé only way to devlopping multiple prints at once it's to have all of your print in one hand( 20 sheet
    max) and put them one by one in the devlopper , submerge them with your fingers.That take practice
    but that work well.

Chamon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    If you like dimple marks all over your prints I agree.
    Hard to sell dimple marks

QUOTE=chamon88;1381766]Thé only way to devlopping multiple prints at once it's to have all of your print in one hand( 20 sheet
    max) and put them one by one in the devlopper , submerge them with your fingers.That take practice
    but that work well.

Chamon[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi bob,

maybe i haven't ever seen a dimple mark, is that what happens when emulsion sticks
    and releases ?

i would be more worried of emulsion sticking to prints, and not knowing which prints to remove first
    since they weren't all put in all at once or nearly at the same time.

sometimes when i have to print more than a few, i put paper back to back face to face between fingers
    and submerge them and alternate paired releases ... and then shuffle and rock the tray.

i used to print huge runs that way, and never had marks or uneven exposure or any troubles ...

john

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    John

Dimples are caused by immersing a print in developer and when you have the paper back facing you in trays the natural inclination of every worker and student that I have met is to use the fingers and push the paper down into the developer, stop and fix.
    this will cause dimples , plain and simple. I am talking fibre papers here of course and do not have an opinion on RC as I have never used other than contact sheets.
    We see this with every newbie in the darkroom and is the first bad habit I scare out of them.

You will notice the hesitancy to touch the emulsion of the print , but quite willing to touch the paper backing. This is why when I am doing finals , I use a wide border and do two prints at a time with the paper backing touching each other and emulsion out.
    As Fred Picker wisely stated , I flip the prints and make sure I am not dragging the paper on the bottom of the tray.. I use lots of chemistry's
    probably more than many here. I find the chemistry the cheapest part of printing.

regards

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi bob,

maybe i haven't ever seen a dimple mark, is that what happens when emulsion sticks
    and releases ?

i would be more worried of emulsion sticking to prints, and not knowing which prints to remove first
    since they weren't all put in all at once or nearly at the same time.

sometimes when i have to print more than a few, i put paper back to back face to face between fingers
    and submerge them and alternate paired releases ... and then shuffle and rock the tray.

i used to print huge runs that way, and never had marks or uneven exposure or any troubles ...

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi bob

luckily i haven't had that problem (knock wood ).
    it is always enlightening to hear how, darkroom gurus, people who print every day, all day ... make art.

thanks for the explanation ..

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The way I used to do it was pretty easy, up to 50 at a time ( have done more, all RC of course and all from the same or similar negs ). 20 x 16 Stainless steel dish, very full, in a 24 x 20 water bath of cold water to slow the action of the dev, 3 to 4 mins dev time, Emulsion down, press in the middle of the sheet, immerse all the prints, one every couple of seconds, then take the bottom print to the top, spin it to emulsion up in the same movement and repeat until developed...when you are fully developed, water rinse then throw in the fix...again one every couple of seconds.

I would like to say I used gloves, but I did'nt, or tongs, which is impossible.....apart from rather brown sides to my nails at the time I do not seem to have suffered any damage fortuanately.

Rarely had to reprint any...

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    No damage from no gloves .. what about the impulse to order mushy peas every time you enter a restaurant? that has to be from some brain damage or your taste buds were destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    The way I used to do it was pretty easy, up to 50 at a time ( have done more, all RC of course and all from the same or similar negs ). 20 x 16 Stainless steel dish, very full, in a 24 x 20 water bath of cold water to slow the action of the dev, 3 to 4 mins dev time, Emulsion down, press in the middle of the sheet, immerse all the prints, one every couple of seconds, then take the bottom print to the top, spin it to emulsion up in the same movement and repeat until developed...when you are fully developed, water rinse then throw in the fix...again one every couple of seconds.

I would like to say I used gloves, but I did'nt, or tongs, which is impossible.....apart from rather brown sides to my nails at the time I do not seem to have suffered any damage fortuanately.

Rarely had to reprint any...

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin