Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,613   Online: 700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

developers for sheets

I am planning to start shooting with LF soon when the weather and time-situation getting fine/better with me soon, meanwhile i keep reading more about LF photography here and there, and here is one question or topic i want to get more info about it:

Which developer i can use to develop sheets in tanks?

I have HC-110 and Ilfosol 3 and TMAX and just bought D-76, i have reading on TMAX sites whether from the stores or Kodak that TMAX is not recommended for sheets or say only for rolls, well, didn't read that on HC-110.

Now if i will neglect TMAX, and was deciding to keep that HC-110 for rolls only, i bought D-76 to go with sheets only or mostly, what another developer i can go with for sheets? Also ID-11 is same as D-76 so this is neglected as well.

I bought raw chemicals to produce Rodinal, Caffenol, and would like to get raw chems for Pyrocat-HD

Note: I did use D-76 on rolls and even it is giving gret results i didn't favorite it over TMAX, not even Ilfosol 3 for some films, and HC-110 seems to be another great one that i will use over D-76 on time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    I am planning to start shooting with LF soon when the weather and time-situation getting fine/better with me soon, meanwhile i keep reading more about LF photography here and there, and here is one question or topic i want to get more info about it:

Which developer i can use to develop sheets in tanks?

I have HC-110 and Ilfosol 3 and TMAX and just bought D-76, i have reading on TMAX sites whether from the stores or Kodak that TMAX is not recommended for sheets or say only for rolls, well, didn't read that on HC-110.

Now if i will neglect TMAX, and was deciding to keep that HC-110 for rolls only, i bought D-76 to go with sheets only or mostly, what another developer i can go with for sheets? Also ID-11 is same as D-76 so this is neglected as well.

I bought raw chemicals to produce Rodinal, Caffenol, and would like to get raw chems for Pyrocat-HD

Note: I did use D-76 on rolls and even it is giving gret results i didn't favorite it over TMAX, not even Ilfosol 3 for some films, and HC-110 seems to be another great one that i will use over D-76 on time.
    hi tareq

you can use TMAX developer for sheets, but it has to be TMAX RS, otherwise you will have problems.
    the other developers seem like they would work fine for sheets, just look on the container
    for times in continuous agitation systems, if the tanks are the kind that spin or roll or rock
    all the time. years ago i used tmax rs, replenished, in deep tanks with hangers, it was OK, i also used sprint film developer
    replenished the same way ... it is similar to d76 and id-11 .. never had troubles.
    i can't speak for rodinal, or pyrocat or hc110 or ilfosol3 ... i am sure as long as the developer isn't above 68F things will work out.
    caffenol is great with sheet films too. check out reinhold's caffenol blog for the newest formulation, caffenol -cf .. fine grain and makes beautiful images.

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi tareq

you can use TMAX developer for sheets, but it has to be TMAX RS, otherwise you will have problems.
    the other developers seem like they would work fine for sheets, just look on the container
    for times in continuous agitation systems, if the tanks are the kind that spin or roll or rock
    all the time. years ago i used tmax rs, replenished, in deep tanks with hangers, it was OK, i also used sprint film developer
    replenished the same way ... it is similar to d76 and id-11 .. never had troubles.
    i can't speak for rodinal, or pyrocat or hc110 or ilfosol3 ... i am sure as long as the developer isn't above 68F things will work out.
    caffenol is great with sheet films too. check out reinhold's caffenol blog for the newest formulation, caffenol -cf .. fine grain and makes beautiful images.

good luck !
    john
    Ok John, i will keep reading and check out different forums and blogs, sure there are many information i can get about developers used for sheets, and the examples will show the proof, in all cases, i am sure even using TMAX normal i will get some good results, but i better follow the warning instructions to not use it, and save this developer for rolls only, in all cases D-76 which i got 2 days ago will be the default one to use for sheet now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't speak about tanks, since I develop in trays. And I can't speak about any developer but D-76 1:1, since I only use that. But it has never let me down and I get consistent, controllable results from it.

caffenol has the magical property that it makes you a more productive photographer... just look at all the work that jnanian shows...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had extremely good results with Kodak XTOL, used straight and replenished. The tonal ranges are much smoother with Kodak XTOL replenished.

If you use a Jobo processor for Ilford FP4 or Ilford HP5 use the rotational times for XTOL straight and add one minute to the non-rotational times at 20° C. As both Kodak and Jobo recommend, do not presoak for XTOL nor XTOL replenished when using a rotary process.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I can't speak about tanks, since I develop in trays. And I can't speak about any developer but D-76 1:1, since I only use that. But it has never let me down and I get consistent, controllable results from it.

caffenol has the magical property that it makes you a more productive photographer... just look at all the work that jnanian shows...
    I will use D-76 for sure because i bought it for LF tank processing, i have many sheets and that developer will run out withing 5-6 times processing.

About caffenol, i can't wait to mix this dev and use it for roll and sheet, i have enough quantity of the chemicals to use, so i am safe to use it anytime i want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I have had extremely good results with Kodak XTOL, used straight and replenished. The tonal ranges are much smoother with Kodak XTOL replenished.

If you use a Jobo processor for Ilford FP4 or Ilford HP5 use the rotational times for XTOL straight and add one minute to the non-rotational times at 20° C. As both Kodak and Jobo recommend, do not presoak for XTOL nor XTOL replenished when using a rotary process.
    I have XTOL un-opened since 2 years, i hope the powder is still fine and not exhausted from not opened and used. The only bug that preventing me to use XTOL long time ago i mean since i bought it is the shelf-life, i didn't shoot much film that time to use XTOL much, that 5L is a pain in....., so i kept it to use when i will shoot a lot of films, now with tank processing for 1L i may use this developer 5 times for full strength or 10 times if going 1:1[or 1+1], i bought XTOL because i saw results and heard it is amazing developer, and it give higher contrast i think, so i hope i can use it very soon, it is there as option if i will shoot many many sheets, if not then i will keep it more longer until time i have hundreds of films [rolls/sheets] to develop.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I will use D-76 for sure because i bought it for LF tank processing, i have many sheets and that developer will run out withing 5-6 times processing.
    The capacity figure I use for D-76 is about 2 ounces stock per sheet of 4x5 film... So, for example, from a gallon stock I would develop approximately 64 sheets...

p.s. I work for Kodak but the opinions and positions I take are my own and not necessarily those of EKC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    The capacity figure I use for D-76 is about 2 ounces stock per sheet of 4x5 film... So, for example, from a gallon stock I would develop approximately 64 sheets...

p.s. I work for Kodak but the opinions and positions I take are my own and not necessarily those of EKC.
    That if i will use this developer mostly as 1+1, not as full strength, but i said 5-6 times because i will try going with full strength once or twice and the rest will be 1+1.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That if i will use this developer mostly as 1+1, not as full strength, but i said 5-6 times because i will try going with full strength once or twice and the rest will be 1+1.
    If you used full strength D-76 and didn't exhaust its capacity, you can run a second batch of film through. Spec sheets say to add 15% to development time. I once "accidentally" tested this and found the developer activity was reduced (by measuring Contrast Index) by about 15%... So although it's not as well controlled, it can be done...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin