Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,293   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mottling (low density patches) on negative

I've not seen this problem before, it is distinct from the phenomena encountered using plastic reels and tanks but presumably has to do with the interaction of developer and film. - film processed in stainless steel tank and reel. Another film processed at the same time featuring extensive sky does not show these marks, which I've double checked on a light box.

Any ideas?

See area at top of image below:

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I haven't seen it before, but are you using powdered developer or mixing your own? Has it fully dissolved (any chance there are clumps of chemistry)? Is there a chance the developer sat around long enough to begin crystallizing? Filtering the developer will help if any of these guesses are right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Bill,

Good point I was using slightly old XTOL. I'll mix up a fresh batch with distilled water before processing any more important film.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom;

I see a series of dark arks across the top starting at the middle and moving to the left. This is in addition to the fault you note which on my screen is less evident than the arks.

It indicates to me that there is some sort of agitation or foaming problem.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE,

I was using a 4 reel tank, perhaps I should stick to the 2 reel tanks with plastic lids from Calumet which have never given problems. The film does seem to slide around more in the longer tank.

EDIT: the 4 reel tanks are all metal and leak slightly, compared to the plastic lid tanks which form a good seal.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if I were Noah, I would see arks, but I saw arcs!

Sorry about the misuse!

Anyhow Tom, I have no idea, I just saw a lot of non-uniformity with no specific cause.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Anyhow Tom, I have no idea, I just saw a lot of non-uniformity with no specific cause.

PE
    Yes, it is a puzzling one. I think I'll stick to the 2 reel tanks for the moment and double check my assumptions...
    I switched from plastic to stainless steel a while back and in general have achieved better uniformity, certainly none of those edge markings that can appear with plastic reels.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you use a pre-wet?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, despite what ILFORD suggests.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure what specific type of stainless steel tank you used, but did you drop the reels into the tank already full and begin agitation right away, or did you fill the tank through the daylight lid with the reels already in?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin