Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,952   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I would strongly advise that you get what film you can now as it looks like its going away soon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    I would strongly advise that you get what film you can now as it looks like its going away soon
    Few things frustrate me more than learning to use a new material and then have it disappear. So if IR film is, as you say, "going away soon," I'd rather not invest any more time or money in it. I am curious what leads you to say that it will be leaving.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You know what frustrates me even more than materials disappearing? People promising they'll disappear and discussing it endlessly, pessimistically moaning about it instead of actually using the materials in question.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have been reading the thread on Efke closing, how could someone not be a little pessimistic?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if Efke was being discontinued (in God we trust, but the rest of you should bring evidence!) still got Rollei IR to fall back on.

To assimilate yourself with near-IR experience, get some Ilford SFX film in a smaller format e.g. 35mm or 120 so you can bracket up and down. Doing so is wasteful in 4x5. It's not true IR film but it comes very close to the effect (and is easier to work with to boot!) with an R72 filter (el cheapos from Hong Kong do the trick; no need for Hoya's $300-gigadollar dazzler) and that's good enough for experimenting with before investing in the more precious stuff. It's best on sunny days with scattered clouds. Not sure what the #87 filter is for.

I have three rolls of Efke AURA in deep freeze. But experimentation is taking place with SFX 200.My working formula for that is set ISO to 25; meter scene with IR filter off (either camera meter or handheld); bracket 1 stop up and down. There will be duds, but you should get a couple of good ones on the proviso conditions are suitable for "near-IR" imaging, as noted above, bright sunny sky and some clouds and a strong composition e.g. a barn in a field, windmill, old car, ruins... whatever you can find.

No doubt others here, when they stop talking about who is discontinuing what and when and start getting out there, will have their own experiences about exposing IR/pseudo-IR films. It's an interesting type of photography.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 08-22-2012 at 08:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin