Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,589   Online: 743

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would buy that, if i had that kind of money and needed a digital camera. I believe it to be way better than any colour RF/SLRS.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have read that Leica is offering printing digital photos on silver gelatin print together with new B&W M digital...?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm sure it's an amazing camera but I can't see it taking 100x better images than my Yashica electro 35 that I paid $60 on ebay (Which also BTW can use color film if I choose ) I'd rather find a nice used Leica film camera ..much better value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May be not, if I able to create art that are immortal. Only question is, can I able to create one? °!°
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I had that kind of money I would buy the Phase One Achromatic. Okay it's more expensive but the files are more beautiful it has more resolution a bigger sensor, etc... I actually don't like the look of the (unprocessed) images created by the Leica M9M. For 7500 $ less I can buy an M3 and the best B/W sensor in existence B/W Film.
    The new M is a gadget for guys (mostly) that need the Leica mystique but don't want to use film. The new Leica lenses for the M9m are lacking (look) as well they are too sharp and too clean.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Isn't this camera a bit like Rolls Royce producing an electric car, but one that sounds as though it is running on petrol?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    For the person who is in the demographic and the company filling the needs of that demo it isn't a waste of time. Most of us aren't in the demo, and it makes about as much sense to us as shooting film makes to the average suburban soccer mom. One of the biggest foibles is to personalize consumption. You are not your own customer and others are not you. The failure of clients to understand this is one of the biggest challenges of marketing. If the product successfully fulfills a desire it matters not what "most people" think. It is easy for one "in group" (us)to deride another (them). It is also pretty much a pointless exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    For the person who is in the demographic and the company filling the needs of that demo it isn't a waste of time. Most of us aren't in the demo, and it makes about as much sense to us as shooting film makes to the average suburban soccer mom. One of the biggest foibles is to personalize consumption. You are not your own customer and others are not you. The failure of clients to understand this is one of the biggest challenges of marketing. If the product successfully fulfills a desire it matters not what "most people" think. It is easy for one "in group" (us)to deride another (them). It is also pretty much a pointless exercise.
    But it's fun to use the opportunity to vent, for whatever reason. Like a lot of economists think, people move by the math of what's in their wallets. But they also move based on the voodoo of what their circle of friends thinks, or what scares them, or what they perceive as being 'cool', announcing they have arrived. Leica has a foot deep in that world and it must be pretty unnerving to make the production estimates for their products, knowing they could lose a non-trivial percentage of sales if e.g. the Sultan of Brunei is ever photographed taking pictures of his family with a sony-digital. Look at the English stamp with the Queen and her Leica on it. Little things like that mean a lot in Leica's world, where they (Leica) might be seen as being behind the curve technologically. Meanwhile the Nikon or Canon folks can say 'screw this, we're going to 50 megapixels!' and they KNOW what the sales are going to be, +-, going forward (and maybe equally voodoo-ish.)

But you're right, it's academic at some level. Sure, you might be old enough to remember when an $8,000 purchase included a basement, but those days are certainly not coming back. Buy what you want and move on.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suppose we need to remember that to many people, $8k is an insignificant amount of money. There is no right or wrong amount to spend on camera, I've got a camera which for £1000 will not take photos any better than one for £100. To some that's crazy, to some it's not. Some people would say we're crazy for buying cameras which require constant ongoing expense on film/processing, it's all relative.

Shooter
    35mm
    People who own this camera really need to understand that their photography sucks and no, they can't buy talent. As it is, this MM comes through as a compensation for poor or lacking self-confidence.

This "HCB in a box" camera is absolutely useless to me. I mean, does it have a color mode somewhere or is it really a crippled camera for 2000$ extra dollars?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin