Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,369   Online: 1135

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is this camera a waste of time?

Why not just shoot BW film? BTW this camera goes for $8K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysQl7...layer_embedded
    Last edited by Mainecoonmaniac; 08-20-2012 at 05:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not for those who have $8k absolutely scorching a hole in their pocket and don't even have a clue that the stuff called film is even made any more. Yet again, Leica markets a status symbol.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not only why not shoot BW film, why spend thousands of dollars on a camera? Granted, its a Leica, and yes, its a dedicated BW camera to boot, but for what that camera would cost, I can buy,develop,s*an/or print directly to paper a whole lotta pictures.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Absolutely crazy. The nuts have taken over the nuthouse.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Why not just shoot BW film? BTW this camera goes for $8K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysQl7...layer_embedded
    Cameras don't take pictures, people do. Although it's nice to shoot with a good camera and precision lens, a Brownie in the right place at the right time will record a better picture than any precision camera with what ever dev/print/manipulation combination.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if i had 8k, id buy it in a heartbeat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had some of the best Leica gear there is up until early 2011, it was fabulous with Kodachrome no doubt. But between the prices shooting through the roof to the point that I was afraid to even put a scratch on a lens barrel and that I had no interest in paying for their M9, I sold nearly all of it and instead, bought lots of film, paper and chemistry.

I now have what I consider Leica M nirvana, my lovely grey leather covered M3 and a brand new Zeiss 50mm 1.5 Sonnar C. As nice as that Mono-M might be, it is still a computer camera that produces computer prints, no thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Completely loopy waste of money to buy something that expensive to try and replicate the feel of shooting with something that can be had so much cheaper and will (with the right skill) give better results and more satisfaction to boot. Still, I'm sure there will be a queue of people to buy these with more money than either sense or talent.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    35mm
    I made it to 2:00. That far in, the piece reeks of 'film is fun but old fashioned' Read: Non-hip. There was also more than a hint of desperation in the script. Elsewhere, $1k discounts on M9s and M9-Ps. Guess those Hermes party favors aren't moving as well as was hoped.

I'm sure Leicas cost a bunch to manufacture even with the Portuguese pre-assembly but, once you've identified your product with a certain lifestyle, volume plateaus and the only way to deal with costs is via price increases. Or stoop to Japanese quality levels. That said I hope they sell a ton, I want them to stick around.

Not my cup of tea, I'd love to have an M3 and a Summicron. Are ya listenin' Santa?
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finally a digital camera that's worth buying. I'd be willing to sell my first born.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin