Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,987   Online: 832

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Everywhere I have been (AU, US, EU, Russia, China) into a film shop, there has been HP5, FP4, TMY2 and often much much more. While I like Acros, it's often less available than Fujichrome. And despite comments above, I've never seen Fomapan on shelves outside of the EU and US.

Seconding the "buy a year's worth" suggestion, then you know what you have for sure. You'll probably pay half as much for it from B&H compared to most local shops.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you to all who have taken the time to reply. The comments all seem to point to Ilford. This agrees with my observation, but it is good to get a better world wide sense.

I have never seen Foma at a shop, and it is a long time since I have seen Fuji b&w at a shop. Kodak unfortunately seems to be less common at the camera stores.

Agreed with the idea of buying a big batch of film, but storage can be an issue when there is no refrigeration, and there is a limit to how much film you can bring as carry on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Urmonas View Post
    ...limited / no access to postal services...
    No/limited postal services? I'm just dying to know where you are going.

It sounds like a tautology, and it is: the most available film is the film that is available. If you can't order it, and have to take what the local store has on offer, then you are limited to what the store stocks.

The most common film is 35mm color negative, if you are in the middle of nowhere it is probably all you will find, and you may find yourself cracking open a disposable camera to get at it. There is nothing to prevent you from having a service bureau scan the color negatives you want to print and make high resolution large format B&W negatives from the scans.

Cleveland, Ohio has plenty of web and postal service, but to find B&W film you have to go to the few photography stores that are still in existence - a rather small number, I'm afraid, but they carry Kodak and a limited range of Ilford with Fuji only available in color.

Any of the standard B&W films will work well. The best technical performers are Kodak's Tmax-100 and Tmax-400. I buy them by the brick and keep them in the freezer. They keep for 10 years past expiration with no problems.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin