Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,910   Posts: 1,521,589   Online: 825

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Just a thought: did your colleagues "pin" the prints to some furniture? Maybe the pins make a hole in the paper and this facilitates the entrance of chemical substances which would then migrate along the paper.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ozone is more common in an office environment than most people think. Copiers, air sanitizers, high intensity discharge lamps, printers, plain old smog, and a bunch of other things generate it. Some peculiarities of RC paper, particularly the TiO2 whitener, may make it more susceptible to ozone than FB is. Combined with slightly inadequate processing the prints might go bad, even though the processing would not show these problems in a short time without the ozone. PE makes a good point about not all RC papers being equal in their environmental stability. Sulfur and sulfur compounds (like SO2) are also more common in an office environment than in most homes. These can also cause yellowing of prints.
    Last edited by nworth; 08-23-2012 at 10:30 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added comments about sulfur.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i gotta get me a copy machine
    or a smoking habit,
    i love old yellowy looking prints !

if they had SILVERED OUT that would be even cooler !

john

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear NB23

I never oversell my products, ever:

I am making a statement of fact, if it yellows within a year, something is wrong with the paper or it is being exposed to airborne pollutants in a higher concentration that you would find in any normal working ( office ) environment, the only time I have ever seen this happen is twice in 25 years on an ILFORD product, once in a hair salon and once in a brewery.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    First you said that no toning whatsoever was necessary for at least 75 years and now you're saying degradation may happen under adverse conditions, therefore a toning might be necessary.

I was just responding to what I was reading.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear NB23,

I do not think I am being inconsistant, in any 'normal' environment within a home or at work toning is not required to give a full 75+ year life on a correctly processed ILFORD RC paper. If you wish to expose your print to known pollutant hazards, leave the print in direct sunlight etc to extend its usable life toning would undoubtedly help.

The other thing is that some monochrome papers, not all, have is a 'carta' or topcoat that helps to defend the coating nominally from stress during printing and processing but obviously makes them more resistant to airborne pollutants.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    here's the real thing to keep in mind: whatever's doing that to those prints is also entering your lungs, and your bloodstream -- how ya feeling these days?
    That's what I thought as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon has posted information here that applies to almost all B&W papers from reputable manufacturers. This includes Fuji, Kodak, Ilford and Agfa. Others may be in this group but I don't have good information to rank them with these tip tier companies.

Yes, sunlight hurts prints, but direct sunlight for one year should not cause this problem. It is therefore due to either a pollutant or bad processing.

Even at this late date, the prints can be tested for retained hypo and retained silver by using the standard tests. If the prints turn even darker brown, then it is the process that is at fault. If they do not, then it is likely a pollutant. If there is no change, the doubt remains if it is really a pollutant or if the prints had a bad process, but it was marginal in the sense that the prints have reached their limit of yellowing.

I guess I still don't know what kind of paper this is.

PE

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i go as far as claiming that an untoned print inot completely processed. i've dne quite a few tests on print stability,ang even lightly toned prints were always better than untoned prints. if the prints are not toned ,processing is not completed yet!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    insufficient fixing is the most common processing error, insufficient washing is not. this is particulary true for RC.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    trust the people who have done these tests. processing is not complete without toning.the difference is immense.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin