Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,919   Online: 791

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz
    Jorge, i read that some guy uses AZO as a POP paper, he said he got very neat results, the contrast is way lower but he seems to love the results. I am hoping to give it a try sometime.
    Deniz,

Strictly speaking AZO isn't POP nor could it be used as POP since it requires development of the latent image and is not self masking.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Deniz,

Strictly speaking AZO isn't POP nor could it be used as POP since it requires development of the latent image and is not self masking.

Don Bryant
    Don, I remember one day leaving a sheet of AZO on my kitchen counter, when I came back after some time, maybe a day or two, the paper was completely fogged. I believe that if you put a negative on top of the paper, you can fog and image onto it. It will not have dark dmax but it will print.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Olivet
    ...It will not have dark dmax but it will print.
    So will any paper: FB, RC, or newsprint.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Deniz,

Don Bryant
    If you have a look in the Experimental Galley, you'll find some prints by Lasse Melberg (sp?). He's using Sodium Nitrite (not nitrate) on contact printing papers to render them useful for POP. I've been meaning to try it when I find some of that chem.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Don, I remember one day leaving a sheet of AZO on my kitchen counter, when I came back after some time, maybe a day or two, the paper was completely fogged. I believe that if you put a negative on top of the paper, you can fog and image onto it. It will not have dark dmax but it will print.
    Christian,

Any silver gelatin paper will darken upon exposure to light but that doesn't make it a POP paper.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Deniz and Mateo are right, Lasse is modifying Azo to become a POP paper, but that is a modification and not the intended use of the paper. Someone selling it should know what it is, otherwise how do we know he has taken good care of it. For all we know this guy is storing the paper right above the room heater.

I have no plans to use Azo, but if I did, I would get it from Michael, not only do you help keep your favorite paper alive, but you get the wealth of knowledge and a guarantee from Michael. YOu can bet if there is something wrong with the paper Michael will fix it. I am not so sure about this guy on e bay, I mean, if he does not know what azo is, how is he supposed to know if something is wrong with the paper or not..... no?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Christian,

Any silver gelatin paper will darken upon exposure to light but that doesn't make it a POP paper.

Don Bryant
    All right I didn't know that every paper will darken upon exposure. I thought that AZO being silver chloride...

I just checked albumen works and it says that POP paper is gelatin silver chloride with an excess of silver nitrate.

I guess that explains my confusion and clears my confusion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    All right I didn't know that every paper will darken upon exposure. I thought that AZO being silver chloride...

I just checked albumen works and it says that POP paper is gelatin silver chloride with an excess of silver nitrate.

I guess that explains my confusion and clears my confusion.
    Which is what Lasse is doing, you can place Azo in a Silver nitrate bath and make it POP, but it is not inherently so...

The market for Azo is miniscule at best. If people do not support Michael and Paula and splinter the market, then noone will have enough volume to run the next master roll
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    but competition in the market place is always the best thing for the consumer.
    I think that competition is a distant second. The best thing for the consumer, first and foremost, is for the product to be available. Michael and Paula have done a good job of ensuring that Azo remains available for now and I prefer to support them because of it.

Cheers,

James

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin