Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,913   Online: 1084

Shooter
    Medium Format

rehalogenate b.w?

I have a b.w negative that I really like except the top half is slightly underdeveloped. It looks like maybe another frame was stuck on top it. Can I bleach this and redevelop it? It was developed and fixed.

Ive been googling rehalogenating bleach formula but dont see the exact proportions of potassium ferracyanide and sodium bromide...does anyone know this also?

Thanks,

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The silver you need to get more density is gone, it was washed away with the fix.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use what is called an Intensifier. There are a few formulas for these in the literature.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If slightly underdeveloped your easiest choice is selenium toner. There are directions on the web as to strength usually 1+2 or 1+3. The negative should be fixed properly and washed well. Of all the other intensifiers I believe that only chromium intensifier is archival. Intensifiers are dangerous to use requring very poisonous chemicals like potassium dichromate or mercuric chloride.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-23-2012 at 09:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It may be FAR easier and safer to compensate for the problem at the printing time....

Even though intensification is possible, it would be nearly impossible to do so in the right portion of the film only. Once you mess it up, the result is there forever....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Of course we don't know how bad the top half of Steve's neg is but I have seen examples of intensifiers in books and they do seem to have an effect. If it's a problem across the whole of the top half of the neg, might it be possible to use maskoid as in toning and only intensify the top half?

As insurance and if the neg contains important material Steve could try to make the best print possible then experiment with an intensifier. He has little to lose and a lot to gain even if it is only knowledge of what is or is not possible.

pentaxuser

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin