Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,781   Online: 1243

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can you identify this film?

Hi

Just came back from a used-stuff dealer, I was scanning the place for used photographic equipment ^^
    Found mostly pretty nasty and dusty Canon FD cameras and a few soligor lenses.

In one of the isles, I found what seemed to be a Agfa bulk film.
    The canister is pretty large though, about the same size as the Polypan boxes (10-12 cm in diameter or 4-5 inches).

As far as I know, the box has been sitting there for "ages", in room temperature, so I really have my doubts if the film inside is shoot-able.
    The box seemed to be well sealed (never opened), due to the thick, black tape that was on there, but you never know, right?

Does anyone know what kind of film we are talking about (ISO etc)? See the photo-attachment.

I wonder what, if anything, I should offer the store for this box, because in my mind, the film is probably pretty funky by now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails agfa_mystery_film.JPG  
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The canister seems very old as you stated. There is a lable on the top stating that it was for an Arriflex which as far as I know is a movie camera. They were made in 35mm and 16mm sizes. It also states that it is panchromatic and judging by the size of the can it is probably a 200 ft length. I would also hazard a guess at it being for Black and white only and going by the films available at that time I would say it is probably no more than 50 or 100 ISO

I have just looked at the lable again and it is 35mm and in a 177feet length

At a rough estimate (guestimate) I would put it around the 1955-60 date so your reasoning that it is finished won't be far from the truth

Shooter
    35mm
    The I.G. Farbenindustrie, Berlin, as the manufacturer would appear to date the film as pre-1951. Agfa was one of the subsidiaries of this group which was broken-up around that time after various war-crime accusations, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IG_Farben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, that's interesting. =)

Would be interesting to see if the film is perforated, so that it would be used in a 35mm cameras for example.
    I would believe that a 50-100 ISO film, more or less stored in room temperature all it's life, would be very foggy (or even dead).
    - Maybe it's already exposed and contain some unknown war-footage, that would be something! Haha =)

No idea what I should offer the store-owner though, I could argue that the only value here is probably the box and the label, as the film most likely is dead.

$5 ?
    -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know that I have ever seen any photographic product before with the warning label: "Open Only In Green Light"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the label, it is panchromatic negative film for an Arriflex motion picture camera. (I think the Arriflex preferred film with a somewhat special perforation, although it was generally similar to the ASA standard.) Interestingly, the length is marked in English units (177 feet, or about 54 meters). That is an odd length, but it may have fit some magazine peculiar to the Arriflex. It is indeed old; my guess is the 50s. I can't get to my reference materials right now, but maybe someone with a really old PLI of some older Agfa books can find it.

Shooter
    35mm
    outside the Soviet union, Movie Negative uses Bell and Howell Perforations which have rounded ends. the difference is not important to still cameras.

My worry if presented with stock that old is that it might be on a nitrate base! The sticker does not say "safety Film" or the german equivalent anywhere.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    After a bit more digging about I have come to the conclusion that it could be even pre war or at least during the war. This would also give more weight for the condition of the container. In 1945 the Company IG Farben was seized by the Alies and split up. The Agfa Photo business went to East Germany and was resurrected as ORWO (This was an anagram of Original Wolfen Wolfen was the town where it was established).

(Interestingly when I was in the British Army serving in Germany in 1976-79 we used to get briefings about security and one of those was not to use ORWO film because it was sent back into the eastern zone for processing and no doubt looked at for any intelligence that could be gleaned from it.)

The name 'Agfa'. reappeared on film around 1952 after a company using the name AGFA was established in Leverkusen, in Western Germany.

It is more than possible, almost certainly very likely, that the film base is nitrate (Acetate didn't become common until around 1955) but has kept relatively stable though being cased in the tin and presumably some sort of wrapping internally. However nitrate can deteriorate in air, turn sticky and unstable; turning into what is, to all intents and purposes, gun-cotton. Highly inflammable at best, explosive at worst. I would stay well clear of it.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 08-26-2012 at 05:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you guys for the information.

I tried some hard-core googling on this and I came up with nothing/very little, at least when trying to search via the camera it was used on. Trying to google the other stuff on the box, gave just about nada.

By the way, what will set off silver nitrate film? I thought it wasn't "very flammable", but that it burned well if it did catch fire...? (Not like it's going to explode in-camera is it? =D )
    -

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Thank you guys for the information.

I tried some hard-core googling on this and I came up with nothing/very little, at least when trying to search via the camera it was used on. Trying to google the other stuff on the box, gave just about nada.

By the way, what will set off silver nitrate film? I thought it wasn't "very flammable", but that it burned well if it did catch fire...? (Not like it's going to explode in-camera is it? =D )
    It has been known to self ignite!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin