Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,499   Online: 983

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

EFKE Aura IR820 development

Hi there,

I recently shot some EFKE IR820 film in my plastic holga at an amusement park. I have shot this film in the past and loved the results. I never used IR filter for it. Just liked the warm tone of the images I have seen shot on that film and it was an impulse thing to use it. Now, in the past I have sent the film for processing but I really would like to process it on my own like I do with my other films. I typically use pyrocat HD as my go to developer. Is there anything specific I should be careful of while processing? Does anyone have development times I can go with? Massive Dev chart doesn't really list pyrocat HD development times for this film (last time I checked). Also, my loading bag says it's not IR safe. I'm assuming I won't ruin the film if I spool it inside a bag that's also inside a darkroom?

P.S. I'm aware of the fact that using this (not cheap) film in a toy camera and without the filter could ban me from this site... But it was way fun!
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pyrocat I don't know jack about, but I develop my IR820 in Xtol 1+1 for 15:00.

It's awesome film if only for the dramatically up-swept HD curve and therefore sparkly highlights, even without the IR sensitivity. Spooling it in a darkroom will be fine; I'd be more concerned about the holga than your dark bag. By "not IR safe" they probably mean the long-wave sensitive stuff like HIE and maybe outdoors. I've never met a cheap crappy darkbag that wasn't sufficient for IR820 indoors.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Aleksandra

Efke 820 Aura is fine in the holga. I have also had success with this film in Pyrocat HD. It produces lovely easy to print negatives. Try 11 3/4 minutes @ 24 degrees centigrade using the partial stand method. That said, the film does scratch easily, so if I was you I would just smooth out the plastic inside the holga where the film comes in to contact with the mask.

The last three images on page two of my APUG Portfolio are Efke 820 Aura developed in Pyrocat HD with the routine above.

Good luck and have fun

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you both for replies. I am aware of the "unique" holga light leaks so I am very careful to load my IR film in the darkroom and tape pretty much the entire body of the camera. I actually got a little piece of velcro taped around the counter window and only look at it briefly when advancing film (most of the time I just count clicks). But I make that baby as light tight as I can, even more so with better film. I might be the un-hipster type for not valuing my holga for light leaks

Stoo, I will follow your instructions with processing. Glad to know someone else is enjoying this combo and I can't wait to give it a shot and see what the negs look like.
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Aleksandra,

I suggest starting with the developers and times on the data sheet. Using their time for Xtol worked very well for me the first time I used it.

Neal Wydra

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin