Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,675   Online: 1178

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lith Printing Question

One of my former students, now back in France after studying in Brooklyn, NY, has contacted me asking about lith printing. In particular he has seen lith printing results that yield prints with a grainy look. He is more interested in that effect than in the warm tones lith printing yields. I know very little about lith printing so I'm hoping someone can steer me to an article/website that explains what materials and techniques generate these results.

Thanks,
    Doug Schwab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have him buy Tim Rudman's books.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are dozens of threads on lith printing here on APUG, a quick search should yield plenty.

As Eddie said, Tim Rudman's books are the best source. There is little, if any, debate about that.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if this answers the question, but Wolfgang Moersch has quite a lot of information available on his web-site. I enclose a link.

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...nowhow/lang:en
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shorter exposure = higher contrast = more grain and less colorful results. I recently had some very grainy results with Fomabrom Variant.
    Online ressources: http://www.lithprint.com/
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Lith/lith.html

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yep, Fomabrom variant III 111/112 (glossy/matt) for example is good for grain and less colour.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 08-25-2012 at 04:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: More exact names for the products
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had some fun grainy results using non-lith paper for kicks. Or more specifically Ilford WT paper that stated on the box "does not suit lith printing well". Can't remember the exact name of the paper right now and my notes are about 500 miles away so I'll have to get back to you. The paper took quite a while to develop but once the silver crystals caught on the contagious spread was pretty rapid. A fun experiment and probably will suit certain images better then others and maybe will be helpful in what your student is after.

Have fun!

Aleks
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a link to Tim Rudman's list of Lith Papers from 2008 http://www.alternativephotography.co..._2Sep_2008.pdf

Kentmere Fineprint VC is known to be grainy in Lith. Fomabrom seems to be the grain leader though.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used Forte Bromofort for this. Especially the matte paper is wonderful. I think all bromide papers liths grainy.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    I think all bromide papers liths grainy.
    That's correct. The ones that actually DO lith, that is. As mentioned earlier, the Foma 111/112 papers are amazing for this effect. Big prints on this paper look fantastic with loads of grain.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin