Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,859   Online: 964

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I prefer liquids because I only want to make up as much solution as I will use in one day. I dont want to store any chemicals in the house aside from a bottle of concentrate. From what I understand, powders make up 1 gallon. Is this information correct?

I wont have problems following directions. I'm a formulating chemist with 20 years experience. I work with chemicals all day long but working with them at home is something totally different!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    From what I understand, powders make up 1 gallon. Is this information correct?
    That's true of many common developers, but not all.

For example, Acufine and Diafine are both available in packages to make one quart.

I have not used any powdered chemicals (except Diafine) in many decades, so I'm not familiar with what's currently available.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mixing powder developer is not difficult at all. Ilford also offers powder developers in 1L packages. These can be used straight or diluted, so I don´t think it would make a difference whether you have 1L of real concentrate or liquified powder dev at home. A further advantage is that powder developers last nearly indefinitely in unopened packages. Once mixed, they usually last a 6-12 months.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have only recently started developing myself. I thought about this for a long time as a) I wanted something with good shelf life b) I wanted something with good documentation and c) I knew i wanted to stick with one developer until I have more experience. I chose Ilford LC29 as I am then using an "all Ilford products" process. So far its living up to all expectations. I am nearly through my first 250ml bottle, and its no different to when I started about 6-8 months ago. Mix is 15ml + 285ml at 1:19 for one 35mm film. Works for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ilford Perceptol and Microphen come in packets which make up one litre. This can be used as is or diluted 1+1 or 1+3 with water.

For occasional use, DD-X is a good suggestion, as is LC29. I would avoid Ilfosol as its keeping properties are not so good although this should have been addressed by an upgrade a few years ago.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    which Ilford liquid developer is considered good for Fujifilm Neopan Acros 100 film.
    Perceptol 1+2 is my personal favorite for Acros, but it comes as a two-package powder. For liquids, I suggest either Rodinal or Pyrocat HD in glycerol. Here's Sandy's description of Acros/Pyrocat HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Ilford Perceptol and Microphen come in packets which make up one litre. This can be used as is or diluted 1+1 or 1+3 with water.
    I typically use it at 1+2 at 75F for 16 min with Acros.
    Last edited by Tony-S; 08-26-2012 at 07:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I prefer liquids because I only want to make up as much solution as I will use in one day. I dont want to store any chemicals in the house aside from a bottle of concentrate. From what I understand, powders make up 1 gallon. Is this information correct?

I wont have problems following directions. I'm a formulating chemist with 20 years experience. I work with chemicals all day long but working with them at home is something totally different!!
    Sounds like me. I use DD-X. I used to use Ilfosol S, but the new version - Ilfosol 3 - has much shorter times and I was getting uneven development. I've only run one roll of Acros in DD-X, but have done several other films and I've been pleased. I'd try it and see how you like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I did use powders, D76 and XTol both of which were very nice BTW, when I first started and it is easy to mix, but I'm now firmly in the camp of using "convienient, ready to dilute" liquids.

I use liquid Wimberley's WD2D+ on occasion but really don't enjoy measuring for the 1+50 mix, this is also why I have avoided Rodinal and the HC's. Even the 1+19ish concentrates make me do more "dishes".

DD-X is truly convienient in that it is NOT highly concentrated, the 1 part DD-X + 4 parts water recipe means it is easy to measure and mix in one beaker, no pipettes or other measuring tools required, and an error of a few ml is practically speaking, insignificant.

The big reason I was suggesting following the instructions is that Fuji and Ilford and Kodak have put an incredible amount of work into getting their numbers in the instructions right. It is a safe bet that if you are following their instructions and still having a problem, for example not getting the shadow detail you want, the problem is somewhere else.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm a big fan of Ilford ID11 and find it to be no hassle to mix it up at all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    From what I understand, powders make up 1 gallon. Is this information correct?
    No. A packet of powder is diluted according to its formula. If you buy a 1qt packet of D76, it mixes into 1qt. If you buy a 5L packet of Xtol, it mixes into 5L of solution. Most home development packets mix to 1qt or 1L. If you only want a few bottles of chemicals, then there will be no problems with the available selections.
    Don't worry. It's just like mixing anything else. Developer, stop, fixer, wash, final rinse in distilled water.

All of the developers do the same thing: develop film. All of them will give you good results. Don't worry about having "the ideal" developer, just start with something convenient that works for your personal process.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin