Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,174   Online: 994

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Need Ilford Developer Recommendation

Hello all,

I am very close to developing my first film ever! I need to start buying chemicals and would like recommendations on which Ilford liquid developer is considered good for Fujifilm Neopan Acros 100 film. Is any developer considered a better choice? I'd like to make at least a slightly informed decision when I buy. Thank you very much!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot tons of Acros... my favorite film.

First developer choice is Rodinal (now Adonal or R09). Second would be Ilford DD-X.

The shelf life of Rodinal (and its newer incarnations) is almost limitless.
    We've had reports of people using concentrate that's 40 years old or more with normal results.

One important point about Rodinal:
    The minimum amount of concentrate is 10ml per 80 square inches of film, regardless of the dilution.
    Depending on your developing equipment, this may influence your choice of dilutinos (I prefer 1+50).

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 08-25-2012 at 10:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like DD-X personally. Easy to use, great results.

The only complaint I've heard about DD-X is that it is a bit more expensive than the others. Not enough extra to keep me from using it and there are ways to streatch it.

Whatever developer you choose, my advice is to read and follow the directions, then get good following the instructions. If you do that you will get good usable results every time. One of best things about getting good at following the directions is that when you decide to use a different film you will be able to get good results on the first try.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i've heard about rodinol, no offense but if this is your first ever, stick to the most tried and true,most universal, the one that works really well with just about everything: D-76 or the same thing from Ilford ID11, which I believe comes in liquid.

follow the instructions, you cannot go wrong. I am not a bulk user, so I use it as a one-shot stock diluted 1:1 with water and toss it -- a gallon lasts a long time, no complicated mixing formulae...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I like DD-X personally. Easy to use, great results.

The only complaint I've heard about DD-X is that it is a bit more expensive than the others. Not enough extra to keep me from using it and there are ways to streatch it.

Whatever developer you choose, my advice is to read and follow the directions, then get good following the instructions. If you do that you will get good usable results every time. One of best things about getting good at following the directions is that when you decide to use a different film you will be able to get good results on the first try.
    this is excellent advice -- follow the instructions and make slight alterations only after you gain experience -- your best policy will be to eliminate as many variables as you can in the process so that the variables yu control -- whether in the darkroom or on photoshop -- are the ones that are easiest to handle and the ones with maximum impact.

Mary Ellen Mark used Tri-X for decades because she was really good at shooting with Tri-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually ID-11 and D-76 are powders when they arrive.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    i've heard about rodinol, no offense but if this is your first ever...
    I assume this statement was directed at me, since it obviously is the OP's first ever...

Rodinal has been my standard developer for over 50 years, so I'm reasonably well acquainted with its use.

Thanks for your concern.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with the recommendations for Rodinal and ID-11. Can't go wrong either way. Mixing up a powder developer like ID-11 is not very hard and takes less than 10 minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no offense leigh, certainly none intended-- i just tried rodinol once or twice over the years and wasn't impressed. Your results may vary, of course.

it's just that my advice for this guy, as for everyone, is to start simple and go on -- and it doesn't get much simpler than d-76. Yes it arrives as a powder and in 20 minutes it's a liquid which has really good keeping qualities.

DDX looks like ilford's version of microdol x -- and it comes in a liquid... absolutely nothing wrong with that formula..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Certainly Rodinal is not for everyone, nor is any other developer. In particular, Rodinal is not well-suited to faster films.

I've run a few hundred sheets of 4x5 Acros through it with excellent results. (I sure wish 8x10 Acros was available here.)

- Leigh

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin