Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 803

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If I need to dry a reel I simply use the air line and blowgun from my compressor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut. I was completely unaware that there was a "plastic vs stainless" controversy. I am definitely going to have to get around more.

Happy shooting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not trying to start a plastic vs stainless argument, either. I am wondering what I am missing in not using the 1/2 dozen stainless tanks that have found their way into my home. I would like to know what is to be gained by fighting through my inability to properly load them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I find incredibly nice about Stainless steel reels is that if you clean them in hot enough water, most of the water will evaporate from the heat that transferred to the reels. If the reels happen to be a little bit damp it doesn't matter anyway, so if I have a lot of film to process I have enough of them by owning two sets. Load one set while I process the other... Easy peasy.

For me this is a huge advantage, because about 70% of the year my darkroom is in a fairly high humidity basement. Plastic reels simply don't work for me unless I happen to be processing film during the four months it's actually dry in there.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just FYI -

If you put ball bearings in the microwave and run it on Max HI for a minute, you can take out the ball bearings and they'll be cool to the touch.

Smooth metal surfaces like ball bearings don't heat up in a microwave.

I do this demonstration for schoolkids several times a year.
    Last edited by Arkasha; 08-29-2012 at 12:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Sorry. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut. I was completely unaware that there was a "plastic vs stainless" controversy. I am definitely going to have to get around more.

Happy shooting
    There's no controversy. The choice is clear. But just as usual, the BMW and Mercedes haters are usually the Nissan-Honda-Toyota drivers with their bulletproof logic that their car does the same job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You Mean Ford vs Chevy

You mean Ford vs Chevy...right? Honda and Toyota are so far beyond Mercedes and BMW that there really is no controversy there anymore.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    Funny you should say that - I have two hands, years of developing experience and seem to manage well enough with plastic spirals with 120 and 35mm. In fact I've never used anything else. Here's a tip - you don't have to hold the cartridge/spool when loading a spiral...
    kevs
    Unless you're using a changing bag, where 35mm film is likely to curl into a tangle in that limited space.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's what a light-tight clothing closet is for....
    I always load film standing in an extremely dark closet.
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    35mm
    Given a dry reel, the Jobo 1500 series reels are a very slick way to load film in a tank. They alos take about the same amount of chemistry in inversion mode as most stainless steel tanks. the patterson/Photoplast style varry from slightly harder to almost the same as the Jobo to load, but do take more chemistry. The Slickest of the Bunch is the AP Compact reels which also have the built in Guides for Roll Film. Unfortunately those guides get in the way of you want to chek the film just out of the fix and before the wash.

With Practice Stainless is easy to load as long as the reels are not bent. If a stainless reel is misloaded, it can easily result in blank spots on the film. Also if you do detect that there is a kink forming when reloading stainless, the kink will work very hard to prevent the reel from loading smoothly.

I used stainless for years. Then I strted with teh Jobo and hardly use the stainless unless I am short on Tanks. I just which the price of the Jobo stuff would come back down out of the sky. 30 bucks is now cheep for one reel.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin