Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,682   Online: 1161

Shooter
    Multi Format

4x5 box possibly fogged :(

Hello!
    Looking for advice here.
    Whilst in the darkroom, with my safelight on, i opened a box of 4x5 sheets i thought was ortho... off course it turned out it wasn't. I didnt pull the sheets apart, i just took them out of the black bag, when it struck me, i was opening a pan film, and hurried the best i could to shut the lights.
    I guess at least the top sheets are ruined. Will the whole package be fogged, or? I don't know how transparent negs are pre-processing.
    I hope i havent wasted 50 sheets here.

Cheers
    Nic
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The chances of survival are not good.

Compare the amount of time the sheets were out of the package to a normal exposure time (1/125 or whatever).
    You're probably looking at many stops longer exposure during the accident.

Shoot one from the middle of the stack and one from the bottom and see how they look.
    Most likely the edges will be fogged. It's all a question of degree.
    If the central area appears uncompromised, you can probably shoot with a reduced image area and use the film.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    Hello!
    Looking for advice here.
    Whilst in the darkroom, with my safelight on, i opened a box of 4x5 sheets i thought was ortho... off course it turned out it wasn't. I didnt pull the sheets apart, i just took them out of the black bag, when it struck me, i was opening a pan film, and hurried the best i could to shut the lights.
    I guess at least the top sheets are ruined. Will the whole package be fogged, or? I don't know how transparent negs are pre-processing.
    I hope i havent wasted 50 sheets here.

Cheers
    Nic
    Sorry to learn about your mishap and hope you can salvage some of them. However, If they are fogged and you decide to throw them away, can you perhaps quote postage to send them to England, as I can use them for my students.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Without any more light exposure, process the top two sheets. Then process a sheet from the middle and from the bottom. That should give you a profile of the damage, if any.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    have heart. Movie film is often supplied rolled on a spool with no protection and the instructions (used to ) say to load in subdued light. The outer layer is completly fogged of course but by the third or fourth layer there is often only fog in the perforation area. So Light from the top is to be expected to only fog a couple of sheets. The New Instructions say to load in total darkness as current practice is to shoot a larger image (SUPER 16) which is more likely to be effected by fog.

Down side, Much sheet film is on Polyester base, (AKA ESTAR) which is GREAT at Light Piping, depending on the type of film that may allow some exposure on teh Bottom of the emulsion.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the answers so far. Ill try to develop some.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just expose it in your camera
    and use it for things that are fun and don't matter.
    process it with off thewall developers like coffee based ones
    and have some fun.
    i have fogged flm before, it was not really that big a deal ...

good luc k
    john
    ask me how ..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin