Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,497   Posts: 1,571,471   Online: 1128

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

When using the polarizing filter?

In my landscape photography, I work with the yellow or red filter, mainly to highlight some clouds or increase contrast in the final image. Normally I do not use the polarizing filter on my pictures, unless I want to remove the reflections in the water, and sometimes if I want to further darken the sky.
    A few days ago, my wife gave me polarized glasses. They really are very useful for driving. But what I want to emphasize is that with them I can see the sky and mountains with greater clarity and detail.
    Having said that, should I use the polarizing filter more often?
    Thanks for your comments,
    Henry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use polarizing filters to darken the sky, cut glare, or bring out colors. Sometimes they can cut haze.

Should you use them more? The only way to know is to look at the scene with and without the filter. I do not think that the one size fits all by either always using or never using polarizing filters. The use is a matter of personal taste and style.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As the previous post says, this is down to personal preference, but probably the greatest benefit of using a polarising filter is increase in colour saturation, if working in colour. Buy the best you can as quality is a must with these and don't forget your tripod.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I only use the circular polarizer in black and white to darken a blue sky, and or separate clouds against a blue sky. And often I will stack with an orange filter for great results such as this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Park Head Church, Pecktonville MD 8-11-12 02.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    In color work a polarizing filter is handy in the forest. It can be used to reduce the blue light reflecting off of leaves from the blue sky above -- especially along creeks, etc where there is an opening in the trees above, but no direct sunlight coming down.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin