Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,693   Online: 918

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    You've done that? Wow, you were very brave!
    Yes, I was trying to make a long "panorama" by sticking photographs edge to edge with the details lining up in accurate register. Using fibre base paper is not an easy way to go about this!
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I noticed Ilford MGIV shrinks quite a bit.
    I also noticed Adorama house brand paper doesn't change its size.
    Good to read! Thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear sim2m,

A small addition. If you like exceptionally glossy prints, using a ferrotyping print dryer almost eliminates the shrinkage.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Some films are on acetate and some are on Estar and it is up to the user to check the support.

PE
    Great another rat hole for me to venture down. Troubling that in everything I've read by the masking gurus (Burkett, Bond, Radeka etc) I don't recall ever seeing any mention of this variable in chosing the masking film. They all use and recommend a variety of films from TMax to FP4 to Ortho Plus to various slow ortho/litho films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I discovered this paper size change late last year when I was making test prints on a few papers from different manufacturers. I'd done the best I could on one paper and was then seeing what I could get out of the neg on another. I was squeegeing the prints on a perspex board and lining them up next to each other. I soon found that one of the earlier tests which had air dried for an hour or so was considerably shorter than the newer, still damp print. Quite a surprise. I'd forgotten about it until now, so it's good to get an explanation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Great another rat hole for me to venture down. Troubling that in everything I've read by the masking gurus (Burkett, Bond, Radeka etc) I don't recall ever seeing any mention of this variable in chosing the masking film. They all use and recommend a variety of films from TMax to FP4 to Ortho Plus to various slow ortho/litho films.
    See my post #9. Many sheet films are coated on Estar to enable masking and other critical processes.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about polyester? (eg Ilford Ortho)

Shooter
    35mm
    Estar is a Kodak trademark for a polyester plastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2 View Post
    *Just musing to myself here really*
    I have been aware that the fibre paper swells when wet (and potentially shrinks when drying), I guess that up to actually measuring the print image size I hadn't followed the logical thought process that with the "grain" of the paper fibres going in one direction the actual swelling/shrinkage may not be totally consistent across a sheet. What I think I mean is that if the centre of a print is the reference point the top/bottom and left/right sides may not expand equally by the same amount.

The follow-on thought is that the image on the paper has been stretched/distorted (very slightly) in one measurement e.g. width in relation to the height. Ho hum - good job I don't have to produce a dimensionally "accurate" image of the subject!
    This is basically correct. The swell and shrink depend on the fiber orientation and on the stress/strain during drying. On the paper machine, the sheet stretches in the machine direction and shrinks in the cross direction. On re-wetting, the sheet expands more in the cross direction than in the machine direction. The MD/CD fiber orientation of the sheet can varying across its width (as can the stress/strain) so that its wet expansion will also vary. While these generalities apply to most fiber base papers, specifics depend on the actual paper in question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin