Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,999   Online: 901

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Black Stained Presoak Water Normal W/ 120?

I just developed my first two rolls of 120 B&W (Ilford HP5+). I do a water pre-soak for a minute. To my surprise, when I poured out the water, it came out stained black. I carried on with developer etc and the negatives came out fine.

Is the black stained water normal? I've never gotten it with 35mm developing.

If it matters, these rolls were old, having been exposed 4+ years ago - I found them when I pulled my MF camera bag out of the closet . . .

Incidentally, I used the full 13 minute development time recommended by Ilford and the Massive Dev Chart for D76 1:1. I've read that Ilford's recommended time is too long, but it seemed to work fine.
    John L
    SF Bay Area, CA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perfectly normal. It's the anti-halation backing coming off.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yep, discoloured water is normal, but it can be different colours for different films. I think it's the anti-halation layer being washed away.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks. I was quite surprised!
    John L
    SF Bay Area, CA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The cool part is if you dump the black pre-soak water into the used developer (if you are using a one shot developer) and watch the black disappear.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it's fine-some are blue/green (eg Forte, Maco). Others are virtually clear (eg Delta).
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Images
    My Delta comes out green. Dark Green.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What confuses me is when the sheet film dumps one color and the same emulsion in 120 dumps another color. I also noticed that the "new" TRI-X has a lot more dye that the original. It is a lot finer grain too. Almost a different film as far as that goes.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, about the development times for HP5+: note that times for d76 1:1 and ID11 1:1 are not the same! On the Ilford chart (EI 400) , d76 1:1 is 11 minutes, ID11 1:1 is 13 minutes. Note that the undiluted times are both 7.5 minutes... Not sure what the difference between these developers is.

Jon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Not all emulsions are the same. Even if the name is the same. Tri-X 35 mm, Tri-X 120 and Tri-X sheet film emulsions were different. Wouldn't surprise me if other films were, too.

Oh, dear. I used Tri-X as my example. My age is showing again.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin