Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,350   Online: 771

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Just try not to take too much information from here.

As much as I support APUG and participate in the forums, I would say the "information age" is a double-edged sword, and one of the major reasons why this hobby can appear so daunting to a potential newcomer.

Before all this, you could start with some simple books by Kodak or the Time Life series, follow the directions from Kodak, Ilford etc, learn the basics and go from there, progressing as required/desired. Maybe you took a class. But there was a certain level of beneficial ignorance (if there is such a thing), at least at the outset, regarding the endless, excrutiating minutia(e) of the process. Problems were solved along the way as they were encountered.

Enter the internet. Now a beginner can find all the million-and-one details to sort out and problems to solve, before even starting out. Indeed, one might get the impression analog photography involves a nearly impossible craft. Add to this the very murky mixture of information and disinformation.

My advice to the beginner would be to use these forums sparingly, as a way to reach out to people when you encounter a specific problem.
    My very best mentor always says: If you really want to learn the darkroom process from film exposure to finished print, lock yourself in a darkroom with bulk rolls of Tri-X, gallons of D-76, a solid supply of Grade 2 paper (or just a Grade 2 filter), and Dektol. Do over until you like what you see. Then shoot a few hundred more pictures and print them all. Not until then is it time to get fancy and try different developers and such, because you won't know enough to fully appreciate the differences.
    But that advice doesn't work anymore... Anyway, I digress...

RattyMouse - Good for you. The community appreciates your support.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And special thanks to PE! There should be a Photo Engineer appreciation post!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thedancefloor View Post
    And special thanks to PE! There should be a Photo Engineer appreciation post!
    NO DOUBT!! (Caps intentional)
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Just try not to take too much information from here.

As much as I support APUG and participate in the forums, I would say the "information age" is a double-edged sword, and one of the major reasons why this hobby can appear so daunting to a potential newcomer.

Before all this, you could start with some simple books by Kodak or the Time Life series, follow the directions from Kodak, Ilford etc, learn the basics and go from there, progressing as required/desired. Maybe you took a class. But there was a certain level of beneficial ignorance (if there is such a thing), at least at the outset, regarding the endless, excrutiating minutia(e) of the process. Problems were solved along the way as they were encountered.

Enter the internet. Now a beginner can find all the million-and-one details to sort out and problems to solve, before even starting out. Indeed, one might get the impression analog photography involves a nearly impossible craft. Add to this the very murky mixture of information and disinformation.

My advice to the beginner would be to use these forums sparingly, as a way to reach out to people when you encounter a specific problem.
    +1

Completely agree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ratty, I will humbly accept your thanks.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin