Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,131   Online: 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

This group is the best

Folks, the amount of help freely given here is staggering. As a newcomer returning to film, I have a LOT to learn. In the short time I've been here, the amount of generosity shown is incredible, as is the knowledge. So I did something I never ever did before. I subscribed to a free web site! Just a way to say THANK YOU to APUG.org and THANK YOU to fellow fans of film!

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good on ya! Hopefully others will be inspired by your action. It's a pitifully small amount of money for the heaps of information and the camaraderie available here.

Shooter
    35mm
    The information and knowledge expressed on this forum is second to none. I have only just joined it and so far all of it is positive.
    I am a 'dyed in the wool' film photographer who has tried digital partially because of my home circumstances, but when I went back to B&W and then Colour the amount of skill I had lost was and to some extent, staggering! I am in fact still on a upward learning curve,(again). I have the knowledge but putting it into practice is harder than I remember it first time around.

What it must be like for a newcomer to take up the hobby in the darkroom must be a bit daunting. When I started everyone who was keen enough, used a d/room and there was always help at hand for advice and assistance. Now we have to rely on places like this to proceed. Keep it up.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ratty - Great to hear! I also hope your note causes others to reflect and join as a Subscriber too!

...now get in that Gallery and let's see some pictures! Fun times in there!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Folks, the amount of help freely given here is staggering. As a newcomer returning to film, I have a LOT to learn. In the short time I've been here, the amount of generosity shown is incredible, as is the knowledge. So I did something I never ever did before. I subscribed to a free web site! Just a way to say THANK YOU to APUG.org and THANK YOU to fellow fans of film!

Hear, hear!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    What it must be like for a newcomer to take up the hobby in the darkroom must be a bit daunting.
    Just try not to take too much information from here.

As much as I support APUG and participate in the forums, I would say the "information age" is a double-edged sword, and one of the major reasons why this hobby can appear so daunting to a potential newcomer.

Before all this, you could start with some simple books by Kodak or the Time Life series, follow the directions from Kodak, Ilford etc, learn the basics and go from there, progressing as required/desired. Maybe you took a class. But there was a certain level of beneficial ignorance (if there is such a thing), at least at the outset, regarding the endless, excrutiating minutia(e) of the process. Problems were solved along the way as they were encountered.

Enter the internet. Now a beginner can find all the million-and-one details to sort out and problems to solve, before even starting out. Indeed, one might get the impression analog photography involves a nearly impossible craft. Add to this the very murky mixture of information and disinformation.

My advice to the beginner would be to use these forums sparingly, as a way to reach out to people when you encounter a specific problem.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 08-27-2012 at 09:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Rat !

I've been here almost three years.

Fortunately, or unfortunately I am addicted to APUG.
    I've tried other photography forums, but they just didn't feel right ...

I'm assuming that there are so many people that can not afford to contribute.
    That's why I decided to subscribe.

Enjoy The Day !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for subscribing to help keep the forum up and running! Every little bit helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep. Yep.
    Although I don't post much I have learned a lot from reading threads here on APUG. When I have posted questions I have always been impressed by the amount of great information I get back.

FILM FOREVER!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the support, we should all be helping out. When you look at the price of magazine subscriptions and consider you can get "custom articles" by asking a question, answered almost in real time, this site is hard to beat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin