Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,371   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes- the whole front of the locomotive is slightly blurred. I'd say the shutter speed was fast enough to keep the train en toto from blurring, but not fast enough to capture it as if it were standing still. Looks like the train gave a slight sideways lurch over an un-evenness in the tracks as it approached you.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It looks to me like the light box up above the numbers has a double image as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    the trees behind the engine in that close-up of the numbers don't show motion blur while the numbers and other details of the engine do.
    The tree isn't moving... I assume he's using a tripod, thus the background is still.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am so perplexed by this I am seriously considering visiting the main station area in the next couple of days to check it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes the camera was on a heavy tripod, I am sure the camera itself did not move.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree there definitely is blur involved here but why are there two distinct sets of numbers? Blurry as they are.

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is motion blur. It's more obvious with the numbers because they show so much contrast. 35mm train shooters hope for minimum 1/500 if possible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    I am so perplexed by this I am seriously considering visiting the main station area in the next couple of days to check it out.
    It really is quite simple, but nobody seems to be able to explain it adequately! I understand it in practice, but my physics is failing me. Another way of thinking about it is clouds - which generally move very fast indeed. On a windy day your foreground interest (a tree say) may show some motion blur from the wind, whereas the incredibly fast moving clouds above will retain detail. So it has to do with distance/time. The extreme example would be a plane flying at hundreds of miles an hour, yet it's much easier to freeze the motion of a plane flying at full speed several miles away than it is a slow plane coming in to land.

An even more extreme example is the ISS, flying at 18,000 mph! With a telescope you may be able to photograph this much easier than a car passing in front of you at 30 mph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is image speed across the film plane we are worried about.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    It is image speed across the film plane we are worried about.
    If he'd stepped back and altered his perspective there would be no motion blur because the distance between him, the front of the train and middle of the train where there is full detail would be adequate. This is causing the confusion. I'd like to see some kind of equation that explains this distance/subject speed problem. It's almost like hyperfocal but for moving subjects.
    Last edited by batwister; 08-27-2012 at 10:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin