Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,275   Online: 1048

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    From experience -the two most important points already made : humidity can make the experience miserable, and having an improvised frame inside the bag makes a HUGE difference.
    LOL......humidity levels here in Shanghai run as high as 90%. It is god forsakenly humid here.

Oh joy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    ... This weekend a colleague of mine is bringing me a Paterson tank and reel from the states. I am going to buy a bag here in China as well as a few cheap rolls of film to practice on.
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalbrecht View Post
    I had myself convinced that I was "never going to be able to do this" before I got my tank and reels. With a little practice I was loading film on reels like it was second nature. ... Don't stress on it and you'll do just fine.
    Exactly. I've been on this forum for eight years and this seems to come up regularly. It used to take the form of a steel vs. plastic argument, but lately it's more a fear of loading any reel. Hardly anybody can/could do it the first time. It takes practice. It's not hard, but it is a learned skill. Practice in the light, then with your eyes closed, etc. Be patient and "practice" until you can do it. Then, after a while, you should wonder what all the angst was about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RattyMouse, don't worry too much about this. It ain't rocket science. Practice loading some wasted film. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Gloves/no gloves really depends on the person and the ambient temperature/humidity. Some people just naturally sweat more, or have oily skin or whatever. I wear basic small-sized cotton gloves when I load film, handle negatives etc. The cotton is thin enough so you don't lose any manual dexterity. Other people don't need gloves at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I'll have to see if I can make a room totally dark in my house. Every room has a window so that might not be possible. I am guessing that the standard of dark room means that you cannot see your hands in front of your face. If you can see ANYTHING, then it is not dark enough. Correct?
    Do you have a closet? A reasonable sized closet with a small ledge works fine. And as for "dark enough", as long as you cannot see anything where the film is actually being handled things will be fine - so you can generally rely on things like temporarily blocking the edges and base of a closed door, and turning your back to it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    RattyMouse, don't worry too much about this. It ain't rocket science. Practice loading some wasted film. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Gloves/no gloves really depends on the person and the ambient temperature/humidity. Some people just naturally sweat more, or have oily skin or whatever. I wear basic small-sized cotton gloves when I load film, handle negatives etc. The cotton is thin enough so you don't lose any manual dexterity. Other people don't need gloves at all.
    I also wear cotton gloves when loading film in a changing bag (or tent). Only with roll film, by the way. I have no issues with sheet film loading / unloading or loading of sheet film into a daylight tank.

You will be able to do it. It is just a matter of how fast you can do it...

Also, remember that you can always dump the film into the can, close the lid and take your arms out of the bag. Just remember to put the film in a light tight state before taking your arms out of the bag.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Rattymouse,

My tips: Ensure the spiral is bone-dry because any moisture can make the film stick in the spiral.

If the film does stick and you can't load it any further, separate the spiral, roll up the film, place it in the tank and put the lid on the tank with the central column in place. Then you can dry the spiral before you try again.

Be gentle, go slowly, don't force the film into the spiral otherwise you'll kink it, which will result in crescent marks all over the film. Likewise try not to press the film with your fingers as you load it.

Make sure you use the clips to secure the spiral to the central column; they stop the spiral from sliding up the column when you invert the tank.

Keep the backing paper - you can use it to practice with.

Good luck and have fun - once you've done it a few times it's easy.

Cheers,
    kevs.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make open space inside the changing bag by stuffing into it the biggest cardboard box that will fit. Cut armholes in the box first. This stops the fabric of the bag drooping into the struggle zone between film and reel.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    You want to avoid touching the image area of the film.
    That means you can handle either end without concern.

I normally don't use gloves. I handle the film by the edges without worry.

- Leigh
    Yep.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin