Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,257   Online: 859

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Biggest Unknown for Me is.....

.....how good I am going to be at loading exposed film onto the reel while in a changing bag. That is really what worries me the most now.

I dont have my reel or the bag yet. This weekend a colleague of mine is bringing me a Paterson tank and reel from the states. I am going to buy a bag here in China as well as a few cheap rolls of film to practice on. Hopefully this goes smoothly because the rest I know I can take care of!

Is there any particular size changing bag that is considered a minimum for 120 film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was tentative about it as well. I read up on it, and watched a couple YouTube videos. The first roll was outside the bag, the second inside, the third for real. You'll be fine after a couple practice runs.

I don't know the minimum size for 120 film. My philosophy was to buy large enough to work with 8x10 sheets if I needed to. You never know how large you'll need to go. . Mine is 36"x36".

Have fun!
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ratty - Tis quite easy! Just buy a roll to test with and do it in daylight with your eyes open to see how the magic all happens. Practice a ton a times, then close your eyes a d repeat, peaking only if you need to. Then re roll it and do it in the bag a bunch. Easy peezy, that will be the best "test roll" you've ever bought!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd suggest ruining an entire roll of the shortest and cheapest film you can buy by practicing in the light of day. Practice by letting the entire roll dangle in front of you and begin to learn to fasten it securely to the reel. Once you get the feel try it with your eyes closed. Then begin the rolling process. Learn to feel the curved film engaging the reel. Then do it all over again with your eyes closed. Once you are comfortable with this then try it in the bag. It may prove easier without the dangling film which wont dangle because you will working on a table or counter top.

As far as bag size goes, I'd say bigger is better.

I hope I correctly understood your question,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Tent I say, get a tent.

Something akin to this http://www.adorama.com/PFCR.html

Worth every extra penny?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Btw I'm a anti-bag or tent. I've a dark light-tight room I sit in to do my rolls. There is something kind of peaceful about being in a light tight room with your film trying to get it in the tank. Not sure if your apt/home/condo has such ability, but if so, the dark space is neat....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One problem you'll encounter with plastic reels is that the film "sticks" part way through. It doesn't want to go any further onto the reel.

When this happens, push the reels together gently, toward the film, and rotate gently until it resumes feeding.

The problem is caused by one end of the film catching on a cross-arm of the reel.

------
    I agree with Andy. Do all your loading in a real room if possible. This is much more convenient than a tent or changing bag.
    If necessary wait until late night and put black curtains up to close off any stray light.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone! Are finger prints on the film a big worry? Is washing your hands well before touching the film enough or should I wear gloves?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A note of caution, changing bags turn into saunas in just a few short minutes. Film doesn't like to load onto plastic spirals when there is moisture present. Learn to start the film onto the spiral before loading into the bag, this means while it is still in the cassette. Never rewind the leader back all the way into the cassette. Just trim ith end square, start in the reel, close the reel and film in the bag and finish loading. It is super easy to snip the film flush with the cassette when you get to the end.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You want to avoid touching the image area of the film.
    That means you can handle either end without concern.

I normally don't use gloves. I handle the film by the edges without worry.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin